Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I got the itch for this mod from Dragonplayboy with his ram air mod here: http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1914

I did this mod to maximize the RAM attachment that come with the Volant intake system. I used 4 inch flexible vinyl dryer hose and wrapped it in scotch black duct tape.

Here are some pics:

Materials:

The Volant ram attachment has a wide opening but it doesn't quite reach over to the grille vent.

I removed the plastic guard that was in place to give me more room to work with.

The wide opening allows for the two hoses to feed into the ram attachment and reach over to the top grille vent and the bottom grille.

My X is ph*@king dirty!!!!! The grilles hide the hoses very well. The bottom one is much more visible but worth it.

This MOD was done to try and maximize the ram attachment that the Volant came with. Both the hoses feed into the large ram opening. Now my filter is getting much cooler air. So far the throttle feels great!!!

·
on line
844 Posts
looks good, I'd just be worried about rain...

when I did mine I used pool hose

(basically this:)

and I went from the bottom grille upwards only into the underside of the heat shield, that way water could drain out if it was raining, both because the hose only went up from the grille and because there was space around the exit of the hose (near the filter) where the water could run down the side of the engine well worst case scenario.

You'll probably be fine and it I bet it sounds/works great, I'd just be a lil' scared of rain...

of course rain here is usually a hellish downpour (we had a 9" storm inside of 5 hours back in februrary) so where you're at might be much more favorable.

·
on line
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Todd. Yeah I went with the dryer hose because it had a bigger opening. I'm not really worried about the rain here, I know you get cats and dogs out there. However it does happen and you bring up a great point. I'm not too worried about rain traveling up the bottom grille, but the upper one may be of some concern if it gets really wet. There is a good inch in between the ram attachment and the hoses so if water does travel it should fall short. Plus the ram attachment is on the bottom of the filter box which helps. You are right, it does make a nice difference. My trip computer read a very consistent 23.5-23.7 MPG at 65-68 MPH on my way to work today! Plus when I slam it, it breathes hard and feels very responsive. All around it just feels like it is breathing better.

I was thinking about taking off the cover to the box, you think it would make a difference?

·
on line
844 Posts
if you took off the cover it would be louder but it'd suck in more hot air, which isn't your goal. probably wouldn't noticeably change the performance though... you should try it, drive around the block, get on it a little (with the windows down and with them up) so you know what it sounds like, then do the same thing with the top of the box off. more than anything it'll probably just make it louder, which might be good!

·
on line
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I wish I knew more about it. I'm thinking open box, more air even though it is warmer air vs closed box cooler air, but am I restricting air flow?? I wish we had hood vents like the X5....

·
on line
1,977 Posts
VOLANT RAM AIR MOD

For those of you with the Volant CAI who want to make this mod I found the part at Napa.It`s a 3" flex hose that`s 32" long.It`s black with built in clamps on each end.PERFECT!
After pulling the grille I took off the hard rubber shroud and cut a 3" hole in that and worked the hose through.Worked great.Sorry no pics.
It`s part #BK825-6038 and ran about $16.
Good luck,
Bill :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts