Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL! This is interesting. I got my Volant Cold Air Intake today. I called them to ask about the extra hole that has no available ram air scoop and no included cap. They told me something about if the main hole were to be clogged a vortex would be created and kill the engine..............He didnt sound very sure of himself with that answer. So therefore, you leave the hole open..............But he finished by saying that he can send me a cap if i wanted one. So i told him yes i wanted one and that was it. Now my stock nissan xterra air intake box has no extra openings, so go figure on his explanation.
Id like to know if this guy was just trying to sound like it was supposed to be there even though it wasnt, or if he had a legitimate reason. I personally think they reused the titan and armada air box and didnt make the ram air to fit the xterra, so they just left it open.

Either way, they are sending me a cap for the hole.

·
on line
63 Posts
I call BS on this guy... I also called Volant tech support, must have talked with a different guy, he said that there is no benefit or negative effect of leaving the hole open proven by dyno testing at their facility, and that the extra part for the Frontier which adds a scoop that goes in front of the radiator will not fit on the Xterra. He also offered to send me a cap, which I received yesterday and installed, and since have noticed nothing good/bad/different than having the hole open.

·
on line
63 Posts
The rubber cap itself is not tight, fits on easily, then the hose clamp secures it with no issues.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
I dont know about that Dan guy. I capped mine off and it is yet to die.....

·
on line
3,484 Posts
mcampana said:
Dude, you may have 50 of everything laying around your garage, but FINDING the stuff is another story. That garage is like the Bermuda triangle! How many times did we have to stop to find your keys or camera! And that was stuff we were using!

LOL Yea well I been doing a lot of work, next time you see you'll be impressed and when the wife moves out more to come! Every free second is spent organizing, I am also finishing the Barn out back I have siding on it and trimming it up. Pretty soon, nothing in the main garage, and just tools in the tool room. :cheers: Seriously you ain't going to believe this sheet! LOL I found so far 13 Jacks! LOL And TWO rolls of that Blue tape! LOL And a myriad of other crap I was looking for and about a ton of crap I forgot I had! LOL Like the rear lights! LOL You forgot to mention the 4X2X2 box of wire I could not find! LOL

So what ya think on the new Air box? We can do a race next time we meet up and see real world how it does. Huh? Oh TPK 0 to 65

MC

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i take it the house is going to be yours since your fixing it up?

The Volant sounds great so far. The X had so much power before that i cant say i feelany difference in that category yet. But thats all back road driving. The power comes in at 4000 rpm, so we will see on the free way at passing speeds. But the engine is getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more air now than it was. After taking apart the stock air intake i could really see how restrictive it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts