Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has been attempted yet, but I have an idea. I came across the adapter plate to bolt a VK56DE to the 350z manual transmission. Well, my 07 Xterra X model is a 6 speed manual. Obviously the vq40 bolts directly to a 350z transmission and therefore the adapter will work on the Xterra 4x4 manual transmission. Now if I remember correctly, V8 Pathy mounts bolt into the xterra no issue correct? So you just need the adapter, clutch/flywheel setup, and a vk56 with wiring harness?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trans is different maybe, but the bolt pattern to block is the same, hence the vq40 swaps into 350z and 240sx utilize the z trans on the 4.0 no adapter needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Same tranny ... only difference might be slight changes in gearing. Not obvious to most; unless you either already know it, or have done a bit of research. On a whim, I went through the spec sheets at one point, and they all have the same base model number, only differences were version numbers or something like that.

Hasn't been attempted by anyone who's posted here ... doesn't mean it hasn't been done though. It's not a slam-dunk to just grab a VK & wiring harness ... need to somehow either defeat or work with a dealer to overcome/work around NATS (anti-theft). I know there were a couple of Frontier guys who had trouble getting Titan motors to play nice with their factory (auto) transmissions ... may have been BCM or trans computer issues, but I think the net-net was NATS related.

How are the sports-car guys getting the VQ40 to play with the Z trans? Are they using standalone or aftermarket management? Or are they making it work with all Nissan (junkyard) sourced computers? If you're familiar with how they do it, and happy with their results, I would think you could follow that lead ...

Or just pick up a low mile late(r) model V8 from a GM platform and build yourself the first LS-Xterra ... ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol its funny you mentioned that,I thought about it, up to 06 you could buy a 4.8l ls motor with a 5speed and driverside drop tcase. Or a 6.0 in the 3/4 ton. But the mounts, coolant hoses etc would have to be much more thought out instead of stock pathy parts. This is just a back of the mind thought. I've been pretty rough on my vq40 for the past 18 months since I got it. Had 46k when I got it. Prob over 100k now(long story, odometer was disabled for...a long time due to a speed sensor malfunction that I ignored and just pulled the abs fuse to still use 4x4) but have since resolved that issue(burnt wires off on my custom exhaust). But she is losing oil. No visible leaks. Concerned it could be worn rings or valve seals even. I don't feel like rebuilding the motor. Runs awesome as is but could always use v8 sound
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
951 Posts
To make this work you would need a complete donor truck. Motor, engine harness, dash harness, body harness, all control modules, etc. You would have to splice the body harness with the factory harness in the X, rewire the dash, under the hood, and figure out what to do with all the a/t sensors so you don't throw codes. Add in custom exhaust, couple of boxes of band aids, lots of bad language and a keg or two of your favorite beer. Plus another vehicle to drive while you do all this. It's doable, but not easy. Especially with the newer cars, old cars were simple to do this with. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
To make this work you would need a complete donor truck. Motor, engine harness, dash harness, body harness, all control modules, etc. You would have to splice the body harness with the factory harness in the X, rewire the dash, under the hood, and figure out what to do with all the a/t sensors so you don't throw codes.
I know this is common wisdom, but I don't think it *has* to be that complicated ... I mean, heck, if the VK Buggy guy (a bit of Google-fu should turn up the threads I'm talking about) can make his VK work with a custom standalone JWT VH45 ecu & Mendeola sequential transaxle, it's doable without all the hassle of trying to splice everything factory ...

Not cheap, though, and by the time you go to all the trouble (either of using a full donor truck, or going custom) one has to wonder why you didn't just go with a SBC ... I mean, heck, Sikky has a kit to put an LS into the 350z ... probably pretty adaptable to the X platform, at least it seems like it should be at first blush. Only reason to go with the VK, it seems to me, is if you *really* want to keep it Nissan.

But that's just my opinion, and it's fun to bench race ... amiright?

·
on line
951 Posts
You are right. Hardest part is getting all the pieces to play together. The ecm for the vq motor will not play with the vk motor, and the ecm for the vk motor will not play with the vq body electronics. Makes for an interesting situation. Best guess would be use a v8 pathy as the donor if you can find one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not reallllly planning on doing this, I have plenty of other projects, but this was something in the back of my mind, only because I miss having a v8(sold a 95 f150 on 35s with headers and true duals to buy my xterra) and I miss the sound of a v8. Been considering trading my xterra on a new Tundra, only because I don't really care for the look/performance of the titan. I am open to all makes and models of vehicles. I'm partial to japanese vehicles and fords for that matter but only because they've been most reliable out of the 26 ish cars I've owned in the past 7 years. I put a full fuel injection system into a 1986 Honda crx dx(factory mechanical pump and carb setup) in september on a jdm engine and slapped a turbo on and had it dyno tuned and at the drag strip for import faceoff all in 5 days it only takes determination and ingenuity to make a project happen and complete it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, I am not sure exactly. But I know a lot of newer vehicles use a seperate harness to run an automatic trans. So my belief would be if running a manual transmission you only need to run a new engine harness(donor pathy) and get an immobilizer for the ecu. I don't know for sure of that on a nissan but I'm pretty sure gm uses a completely seperate tcm from the ecu/engine harness.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I'm not sure about the manual transmissions, but I do know that for automatics, the recommendation is to swap the Titan Engine, Tranny, and ECU - all from the same donor vehicle.

If you are somewhat serious about this you may want to contact "Nissan AZ" (Jason) on this board. He works for the Nissan Proving Grounds and was involved in the Project X2 build, and has helped with a few VK swaps here in AZ.

Here is a link to the VK swap that Nissan did back in 2007:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3333

It's a long thread, but Jason has some good info there. He is not super active on this board, so don't be surprised if it takes awhile for him to get back to you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure it can't be too bad,i have recently come across vk56 swaps in 280z and such. I feel this could be a very considerable swap for someone looking for more power and maintaining a 6 speed manual
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally, I don't think a stillen charger is worth it hp per $, I would do a homemade rear turbo and buy injectors/pump and uprev tune. I could prob do a full setup on my xterra for 3k give or take a few hundred and make way more power than a stillen. But some of you aren't able to do the fabrication etc needed for that kind of setup. But the v8 swap could be a very viable option with some kresearch.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I meant research as far as a 6 speed manual v8 swap not the v8 auto. I don't like automatic transmissions.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 53 Posts