Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Keep on mind a clutch in a 3xxZ will hold up much better than something that is quite a bit heavier, like our X's

·
Registered
386 Posts
So not good. I kept telling myself that I would do the swap but only if I could keep the 6spd. Damnit now I can! How do I sell this to my wife lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well looks like I gotta never do an oil change. See if that tanks the 4.0. Maybe I’ll run it low on oil too. Then when it goes I’ll be like well that sucks. Might as well swap a v8 in.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I pointed this out months ago when someone was asking about clutch upgrade options and recommended they check some Z places and I guess none of the MT guys ever took initiative to make any calls or check.

Same model, obviously gear ratios are different. I wouldn't say the FS6R31A is "robust". Probably robust enough for the Xterra, but pretty weak once you start talking street car HP. I seriously doubt a stock clutch would hold over 400 wheel horse power.

Personally, I like the RS5R30A better.
^^this.
Like I said I had the stock clutch with 400+ whp for a while..
It started slipping in full throttle at times.. but the Nismo replacement held fine.
Otherwise transmission was bone stock and I raced w/ it often.
When some guys on my Nissan forum took one part they found that except for 3rd gear (which is weaker) not to different from a T56 actually (which was available for comparison.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
https://youtu.be/rn25NgM7vBc

I'm possibly the first X to do this. Enjoy...

https://youtu.be/E8zRrVIQZHU
Haven't watched the whole video yet, but you should really install a fan shroud especially since now that much more heat from engine. May not have any issues yet, just that it will cool much more effectively/properly with one.

Otherwise, the first part of the first video it sounds pretty good!
If you look at my build thread I have one. I did enough to test it on the road. I still have to I stall the supercooler for the power steering, high amp alternator, fan shroud and what ever else comes up.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'll have to check out your build thread. Watched the second and while it was loud, do like it a lot. The way it should've come from the factory, least as an option. I'd almost sacrifice for an auto if they did, but a manual with it, mmm.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts