Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of anyone swapping in a VK50VE into an Xterra? Other than the rarity of the VK50VE engine itself the overall performance of the VK50VE seems better in it's "stock" form. 390 HP vs. 320 HP with only slightly less torque. Nissan uses this engine in Asia for racing. Besides ECM / BCM I'm guessing you would need the transmission as well to make it all work (and a good programmer). Just spit balling and thinking out loud, wondering if it's been done or could it be done?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I didn't consider the oil pan being incompatible. You have to admit the specs of the 5.0 are much better than the 5.6!
Sir,

Hp is higher is because the compression is noticably higher.

So if you are willing to use premium 100% of the time, sure.
I am not .
Both of them are full of premium engine design goodies (titanium valves, forged everything, microbalanced crankshaft, VVT, closed deck, 6 bolt main bearings etc etc etc)

Even thought the VK56de says "for max performance premium recommended" it has a compression of 9.8:1significantly less than the 10.9:1 on the VK50.
So you can realistically run it on regular when needed (I run midrange on my V8 Pathy with the VK56de)

Also the VK50 despite being approx 11% smaller in combustion volume, weighs the same as the VK56.
So no weight savings realized from the smaller engine.

And all important torque is the same between the two, except....
Max Torque comes on much lower in the powerband with the VK56 than with the VK50VE and 90% of torque comes on below 2400 rpm if memory serves.

While the VK50VE is cooler due to its rarity, for our application the VK56de is the superior engine.

PS: On top of all that the VK56DE should be a significantly easier install since its a factory fit in the R51 Pathfinder also a Nissan F platform truck and a very close brother to the Xterra and has been put into a good number of Xterras already.
PS2: I had a similar craving for V8.. And as a enthusiast even thought a VK50VE swap would be cool (until I informed myself), in the end I left my Xterra alone and bought a 2nd SUV a V8 Pathfinder (they not too expensive used, especially with high miles. and those engines last forever and a day)

Reactions: eighty

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well researched and well said, the V8 bug is hard to shake and the lack of anything new from Nissan is killing me. I know it's not practical for an X that rarely sees off-road but the sound is amazing...will carry on and try not to buy a Warthog edition Bronco next year which also has no V8 engine option.

Big sad.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I vote to stay with a known engine which has a history of being swapped and go with a couple hp upgrades.

I wonder how much HP a set of JWT cams would add to the 5.6

·
Registered
727 Posts
Harrop's also has a Supercharger that fits the VK56VD aaand the VK56DE

Reactions: eighty and JD’s X

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow!!! I guess the 5.6 still has a lot of upgrade potential in it! Those kits are amazing.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Wow!!! I guess the 5.6 still has a lot of upgrade potential in it! Those kits are amazing.
Just imagine that kit which throws that the huge Armada around like that on a VK56DE (which they have a part number for) mounted on an Xterra.
You will outrun the new $77,000 Jeep wrangler 392 all day long.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
If you didnt outrun the Jeep it's a guarantee the owner would be thinking "What the heck just happened? "

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you didnt outrun the Jeep it's a guarantee the owner would be thinking "What the heck just happened? "
On the downside in addition to the purchase of the engine / transmission / ECM / BCM - the super charger kit itself is $7,500...yes, let me say that again $7,500 bucks and I believe that is only the stage 1 kit, not including the stage 2 additional kit...funny how the further out of reach something the more desirable it becomes. Kill me now 🙁

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thats actually a good price for what appears to be a high end unit.
Only could always turbo the VK (or the VQ for that matter) with a custom set up also.

·
on line
2,342 Posts
On the downside in addition to the purchase of the engine / transmission / ECM / BCM - the super charger kit itself is $7,500...yes, let me say that again $7,500 bucks and I believe that is only the stage 1 kit, not including the stage 2 additional kit...funny how the further out of reach something the more desirable it becomes. Kill me now 🙁
You have not shopped supercharger kits. That is an average going rate for a modern kit. There are some that are over $10k

Reactions: BeardnBrew

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have not shopped supercharger kits. That is an average going rate for a modern kit. There are some that are over $10k
Actually I think the ones I was looking at (super chargers) were for six cylinder engines, regardless $7,500 to $10,000 for an awesome product is above my pay grade so I'll have to dream on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts