Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, much to my chagrin, airline flights are substantially cheaper out of SLC to the east coast than from Boise (go figure). Therefore, I will be driving to SLC on Weds 18 Sept to catch a midnight flight and then flying back Mon 23 Sept. I figure since I really have never been to SLC, I'd like to check out the area and meet up and wheel with anyone after I get back from the east coast.

Any recommendations on places to visit/see/do? As well as campgrounds to stay since I am too cheap for a hotel?

I know this is a long shot, but would anyone be willing to let me park my X at their place while I am out of town? I loathe to park it with all its camping/overland goodies at the airport lot.

Thanks!
I cross posted this in the other X forum as well, therefore, sorry if you're reading it 2x.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I live in MT and know what you mean about cost to fly into major hub - SLC, Denver or Minneapolis for us.
Might also try posting at clubfrontier.org

Hope someone steps up and helps you out.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yeah, comes with the territory of living someplace so awesome that the masses do not even know it exists. Lucky for me, SLC is only 5h away vs you in MT. That drive has got to suck.

I contemplated driving to MN to stay w/ parents, but the drive across the flatness of MT and ND/SD is just too painful to endure, haha.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Check out U.N.O.R. They are the local club and should have the inside line on where to go. The head guys are over on club frontier I think.

·
on line
774 Posts
Hey Mel we will take you out on the trail, perhaps American Fork canyon! Ill round up the guys and get something planned.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would not mind your X being parked in my driveway however since I live about an hour away from the airport I am not sure you would want to park it at my house. But It is an option if you need it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^Thanks, All! I will def post up on the Frontier forum as well.

And yes, beer will happen. Love that Polygamy Porter name, haha! I don't really own any offensive shirts, but I could try to get some PFLAG or HRC shirts while in DC for my sis's wedding. :) I preach love, not hate.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^Now that is funny!

Well, I found a place to park the X (much thanks to fellow X members).
And got some good ideas on places to visit.

The plan: Arrive and park X on 18th. Come back 23rd (Mon). Hang out around SLC until have to leave on Sunday.

I still have not ironed out exploring plans quite yet. But those will come when I have time to look up stuff. I'm thinking mountains and higher altitudes are the way to go to beat the heat. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question- Are there any roads (any condition) that connect SR 150 @Mirror Lake to Murdoch Basin Road? It looks like Murdoch Basin Rd ends at Hoover Lake on google maps. :-(

Also, any fun and/or scenic fire service roads or trails in the Wasatch National Forest area recommended? I'm looking to stick around the SR 150 area-ish.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been putting some serious thought into this trip and even bought the DeLorme map to plan routes and such. Since money is always an issue with me and taking a vacation after spending time with family on the East Coast, money will be even tighter. Therefore, after much inner debate and cost analysis, I will most likely be taking my Fiat rather than the X due to the massive amount saved with gas.

If we do a trail run, would anyone mind me being a passenger vs. me taking the X? I can certainly take the Fiat to the trail start on a very easy dirt road (I've done it before), but anything harder than a graded road is out of the question (my rock rashed bumper tells me so). And feel free to poke as much fun as you want at the Fiat. Now I just need to figure out how to pack all my camping equipment in it. Should be interesting...I'll def take pics. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts