Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Xterra PRO-4X
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Love how perfect the Atoto radio fits in there. Is it plug in play with the OEM Rockford Fosgate wiring harness as far as steering wheel controls, backup cam and speakers/subwoofers? Thanks!
I was able to get everything to work properly with the steering wheel controls, backup camera and amp/woofer/speakers. But it's not really a simple project...
See here... 2013-2015 Xterra Pro-4X Atoto Stereo Head Unit Upgrade...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Vintage "billiards ball" style shift knob installed.
View attachment 143023
Picked the colors to match the rest of the interior. But I was really tempted by the blue one.
Thinking of picking one of these up. I'm guessing there is some space between the boot and the bottom of the knob. How does the overall height compare to stock? I would like to maintain stock height if possible.

·
Registered
2014 Xterra PRO-4X
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Hard to guess the height difference as it's been a while, but I think it's minimal. The shaft threads deeply into the ball and then you tighten a locknut against the bottom of the ball... so you could adjust it a bit higher if you wished. I have mine set as low as possible.
I will note that it is a bit heavier than stock, and off-road on irregular terrain the knob can really get swaying back and forth.

Here is a pic from showing the bottom. The ball is 2-1/8" in diameter, so if you unthread your stock knob you could compare the height.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror

·
Registered
2014 Xterra PRO-4X
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Prepping my ARB M226 Differential cover for installation.

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

These measurements are for my specific cover.
Note there may be variances so measure your own!

I needed to remove the corner of the ARB bracket to clear the wiring. So I made a card paper form to test what I needed to remove. My measurements showed that I needed to cut off a triangle with 18mm and 24mm sides as shown:

Computer keyboard Wood Input device Peripheral Automotive exterior

Here it is cut:
Computer keyboard Input device Space bar Peripheral Office supplies

And by my measurements the dip stick needed to be marked right at the mold line shown in this picture: (Note the dip stick is unscrewed and just sitting in the hole.)
Rectangle Road surface Wood Grey Asphalt

On my dip stick that was 85mm from the bottom of the plug, as shown:
Ruler Input device Space bar Office ruler Wood

Hopefully I will get this installed in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice writeups. I ran into the clutch pedal no-start last year and it was the source of much laughter for days. The fact that the hole is just big enough and the plugs so bad...

The guys at my work, I work in the offroad industry, are a bunch of toyota and jeep snobs so they really enjoyed finally having proof that nissans are turdwagons.

·
Registered
2014 Xterra PRO-4X
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Nice writeups. I ran into the clutch pedal no-start last year and it was the source of much laughter for days. The fact that the hole is just big enough and the plugs so bad...

The guys at my work, I work in the offroad industry, are a bunch of toyota and jeep snobs so they really enjoyed finally having proof that nissans are turdwagons.
That placement of the hole is really stupid.
But the toyota guys have to deal with cracking cutch pedal brackets... and the jeeps... well, their "quality" isn't worth much discussion... LoL

·
Registered
2014 Xterra PRO-4X
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

·
Registered
2014 Xterra PRO-4X
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
Rear Differential Breather adjustments...
A while back I installed a better rear differential breather:
I decided I wasn't perfectly satisfied with my installation... 1) I saw the truck on a lift and the hose was "just" long enough. 2) I realized I hadnt used sealant on the thread for the axle fitting.

The adjustments:
1) It wasn't hard at all to get a longer hose and replace the existing one. I wanted to be sure there was enough extra hose in case I lift the truck later.
I put a longer loop of extra hose in the taillight.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Trunk Bumper

And I also I zip tied an extra loop of hose to the frame
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Cable Auto part Fixture

2) I pulled the fitting out and used some Loctite 545 Pneumatic and Hydraulic Fittings Thread Sealant to seal the threads.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

And here is a picture of the current hose routing.
Automotive tire Gas Wood Wheel Auto part

·
Registered
2014 Xterra PRO-4X
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Finally Got the ARB Diff cover installed. There were no internal clearance issues for me. We test fit it without the gasket and rotated the wheels to make sure it cleared fine.
I modified the bracket in this older post here: VintageX's Xterra

And here is the cover installed!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

The brake like seemed supported fine without any attachment, but just in case I added a zip tie at the top center in case a twig snagged it or something.

We also replaced the front diff and transfer case fluids while we were at it. The rear diff is Amsoil GL-5 Synthetic 75W-140, front diff fluid is Amsoil GL-5 Synthetic 80W-90), and for the transfer case I used Liqui Moly 20018 Top Tec 1200 ATF.

And then I replaced the plastic heater hose pieces with aluminum ones for cheap insurance:
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Hood

The replacement hoses are Dorman 626-610 and 626-598.

·
Registered
2014 Xterra PRO-4X
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Polished the headlights today!
They weren't too bad beforehand, but now the are almost perfect.
These headlights are a bit harder to polish than the ones on my old 2007 frontier due to the round section that protrudes. Took me about 3 hours to do both... should have been much less but I was meticulous. They also don't seem to make as much as a slurry during the wet sanding part of the project than I expected.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Car Motor vehicle

I recommend this kit: 3M Ultra Headlight Restoration Kit

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X 6MT
25 Posts
Woah, I have a 2014 Xterra PRO-4X - 6 Speed Manual - Metallic Blue. Rare find with low miles. Lots of good stuff in here, especially the clutch thing, hasnt happened to me yet but definitely good to know. Keep taking good care of that thing!

·
Registered
2014 Xterra PRO-4X
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Woah, I have a 2014 Xterra PRO-4X - 6 Speed Manual - Metallic Blue. Rare find with low miles. Lots of good stuff in here, especially the clutch thing, hasnt happened to me yet but definitely good to know. Keep taking good care of that thing!
Thanks! I I saw the awesome picture of yours in the TOTM thread. Gotta get some shots like that myself.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts