Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a later model replacement VQ40 for my 2006 Xterra. Frontiers from 2017-19 seem to have come with two different V6's, both called VQ40, but one with the VIN 4th digit "A" which is the same as all the Xterra's, and another with the VIN 4th digit "D". I can't figure out the difference.

This doesn't jive with the VIN breakdown at:
Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Parallel

This indicates that the A code is always a VQ40, and the D code doesn't even leave the possibility of a VQ40.

What's going on? What is this mysterious VQ40 with the D 4th digit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
524 Posts
I just went to that site and on that line their is a comma after the VQ35DE so maybe they just don't have it on there by mistake. Hope it helps I know I swapped my motor in my '05 with one from a '14 and had to swap the lower intake manifold due to the '14 motor having a set of butterfly's at the bottom of the intake runners that was not on my '05 they were electrically actuated. Also the '14 motor has an extra sensor for oil next to the same one that my '05 motor had.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
2017 - 2019 Frontiers came either with a VQ40DE or a 4 cylinder. I assume the "D" is for the 4 cylinder?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks. The 4-cyl is 4th digit "B".

I asked this question on the Frontier forum, and the conclusion is that in 2017-19 they offered a flex fuel version with the VQ40, and the D correlates to that. I think Mojave's suggestion that VQ40 is just missing after the comma is probably right.

So, if the D is a flex-fuel VQ40, is it internally the same as the regular, A version VQ40's? This is mostly academic since the majority of engines available are A version, just curious at this point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts