Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to create this post to thank everyone on this forum who has helped contribute to such a great resource for Xterra owners. Thanks to the wealth of info, I was able to get my car back in operation with minimal cost despite being met with skepticism by the any mechanics I spoke to.

Here's the story: I had been stressing over a phantom vibration that occurred at 40 mph and above. I had done enough research on this site to feel confident that my issue was a bad rear u-joint. I don't have the proper tools or background to confidently work on something like this, so I needed outside help. The first two shops I spoke to insisted that it was NOT POSSIBLE to replace only the rear u joint and I would need to replace the drive shaft...BUT thanks to the knowledge gained from this site, I felt confident enough to reject these shops advice and keep looking for someone able to help out.

The third shop agreed to help out after I told them my story. They called me after putting the truck on the lift with some bad news; the u joint was fine, no need to replace and they couldn't tell me for sure what the vibration was caused by. Unwilling to accept this at face value, I raced over to the repair shop while they still had the truck on the lift. I walked under, pointed to the joint I felt was the problem (largely thanks to this post: http://bit.ly/1micDld Thanks Dude ina X!) and told them to proceed with replacing since it was a cheap part anyway, what did I have to lose! Well... it fixed it!

Long story short, you guys rock, lots of good info on this site, better than any mechanic I've met. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vibration source

It was in the seat, I could feel it in the stick, the steering wheel. The whole vehicle was shaking pretty violently; I could only drive local roads below 40 mph.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Mechanics and doctors, i don't trust either of them

Glad everything worked out. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update on my 40+mph vibration to help others

I've used this site countless times as reference, so hopefully this is helpful to others.

So about a month ago, I start having a worrying vibration when accelerating past 35mph, gets a little worse at 40mph, and goes away around 50 mph.

Seems to be worse when slowing down.

Sort of makes a 'whirring' noise.

At first I think its my tires that are getting old, got new tires, doesn't fix anything. I check my front wheel bearings for play, they are solid, and wheels spin freely when off the ground.

Finally I start reading about all of these people saying it was their front drive shaft.

Get the drive shaft off, and the vehicle drives like new with only the rear drive shaft connected.

Go to a shop here in Denver, get new MOOG u-joints pressed in, and the drive shaft balanced. Guy tells me he straightened the drive shaft very slightly. This place seems legit, so I'm having trouble believing he messed it up.

Re-install the drive-shaft.... vibration is worse, and now I have a high-speed vibration around 65 mph!

Remove the drive-shaft again - everything is smooth!

Ok, so this week I'm sourcing a low-mileage used drive shaft, no idea what's going on. If that doesn't fix the issue I'm left thinking my transfer case has a bad bearing?

I'll update when I get this figured out.

UPDATE: Re-balanced the drive shaft again, all vibrations gone, when I engaged 4wd you can't hardly tell its so smooth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok.. so.. I'm having a similar problem. Vibration occurs at about 50 MPH.
The link mentioned in OP does not seem to have pictures (any more??).
Could someone point out to me what I am to be looking at. Thank you!!
-Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Could someone point out to me what I am to be looking at. Thank you!!
Hey ND Olson,

What the other post is talking about is the rear-yoke CV joint. It meets up to a flange on the rear-differential.

Before you do anything, I would highly recommend removing the front drive-shaft. (looks like your truck is 4wd).

1.) put the truck in 4-low to lock the drive shaft in place (or leave the front wheels on the ground)
1.a) The drive-shaft bolts have thread-lock on them, so apply some heat with a MAP torch or something and they will come off about 1xmillion times easier.
1.b) You will need a couple of boxed-wrench 14 mm wrenches with thin wall, especially for the front-flange.
2.) remove the 2 lower bolts you can reach from the front flange and rear flange of the front drive-shaft. (4 bolts in total)
3.) Take the truck out of 4-low (or jack up the front wheels)
4.) rotate the front drive shaft 180 degrees to reach the other 4 bolts and remove them.
5.) Done your drive shaft is out - put the transmission back into 2wd, and take a spin to see if your vibration is gone.

·
TNX Administrator
20,478 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts