Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a vibration problem and it's not the u-joints. I feel the vibrations starting around 40 mph and it steadily increases as I increase speed. Backing off on the throttle doesn't make a difference and it is still there as I apply the brakes as well. I took T-Rex for a ride and he said he didn't feel the vibration on the seat so it's only on the steering wheel. I say it's not the u-joints because last week I pulled out the front drive shaft and the vibration was still there. Since I have over 200k on my X I replaced the u-joints while the drive shaft was out and put it back on today. Still have vibrations. I also did a tire rotation... no change. The balance of my tires should be good... I'm running dyna beads in them.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I could look next? :confused:

Thanks

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
on line
22,508 Posts
You don't think I've already gone through those other threads? Why else would I mention what I've already done? It's been based on those others threads thank you very much.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I was mainly throwing you crap because of your post in that other thread. Now that you've remedied that, have you checked the tie rods? Play in one or more tie rods will allow a wheel to shake left and right as it rolls.

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was mainly throwing you crap because of your post in that other thread. Now that you've remedied that, have you checked the tie rods? Play in one or more tie rods will allow a wheel to shake left and right as it rolls.
It's all good... He explained himself well enough.

Tie rods huh... Haven't thought about that yet. Time to go looking that up.

Thanks

·
on line
22,508 Posts
It's all good... He explained himself well enough.

Tie rods huh... Haven't thought about that yet. Time to go looking that up.

Thanks

Jack it up, grab each front tire at 9:00 and 3:00 and and gently rock it left and right, feeling for play to check them.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
it maybe something simple I had a small drop of tar on my driveshaft of my old bronco II and with the dirt it collected over time it was enough to throw the balance off, or make sure you still have the weight attached to the rear driveshaft. If its not anything like that I would start looking at the trans or diff or the upper and lower ball joints. I dont know how to check the lowers to tell if they are bad though

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it maybe something simple I had a small drop of tar on my driveshaft of my old bronco II and with the dirt it collected over time it was enough to throw the balance off, or make sure you still have the weight attached to the rear driveshaft. If its not anything like that I would start looking at the trans or diff or the upper and lower ball joints. I dont know how to check the lowers to tell if they are bad though
I've been under my X a lot lately. I was looking at the rear drive shaft earlier and I think I remember seeing the weight on it to balance it but I'll check it again tomorrow to make sure. I'll start reading up on ball joints to see what I can learn.

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just checked the tie rods. They seem fine to me. There is some movement when I try to shake the wheel back and forth but I see the steering column moving with my motions so I'm not really 100% certain there.

I read on another thread that tie rods might be flexing because of my heavy wheels. I'm running 285/75/16 Duratracs that are definitely heavier than stock tires.

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you only pull the front drive shaft only or did you check the rear as well?

Had something similar:

Post #5

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65318
I haven't checked the rear drive shaft yet. The wife and I are out ob a Sunday drive right now so I'll check your thread out next time we stop somewhere.

My wife does note that she doesn't feel any of the vibrations that I feel on the steering wheel. Nothing on her seat and nothing on the dash or any panels. So I'm the only one that has to suffer through the vibes :(

Mobile Post...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I haven't checked the rear drive shaft yet. The wife and I are out ob a Sunday drive right now so I'll check your thread out next time we stop somewhere.

My wife does note that she doesn't feel any of the vibrations that I feel on the steering wheel. Nothing on her seat and nothing on the dash or any panels. So I'm the only one that has to suffer through the vibes :(

Mobile Post...
Wheel bearings? My old VW had odd vibrations as the bearings were failing. Although I think I remember you saying or reading that you had them replaced recently. Since you rotated and still feel it, it should not be wheel related (balance, rim, flat spot, etc.).

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mrcole, I just went through that entire thread... I'll definitely check the rear drive shaft for play. How hard is it to pull that out? I might want to just replace that u-joint since it's now got 214k on it.

Mobile Post...

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wheel bearings? My old VW had odd vibrations as the bearings were failing. Although I think I remember you saying or reading that you had them replaced recently. Since you rotated and still feel it, it should not be wheel related (balance, rim, flat spot, etc.).
Keith, I haven't replaced any wheel bearings. How does one check to see if those have gone bad?

Mobile Post...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Well, sometimes you can hear something humming but with the duratracs that isn't likely. Jack up the truck and grab the wheel at 6 and 12 and try to rock it back and forth. If there is a play, there is a good chance it is a bearing. This video shows it pretty well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVRyaf85wY

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Mrcole, I just went through that entire thread... I'll definitely check the rear drive shaft for play. How hard is it to pull that out? I might want to just replace that u-joint since it's now got 214k on it.

Mobile Post...
Not bad at all to get out. It was much easier than the front drive shaft IMO. Make sure you buy the six bolts and six nuts from Nissan as you will want to use new ones when you put it back in. There is a how-to somewhere on hear that I followed. Once you have the six bolts off the shaft slides right out of the transfer case. I used the Harbor Freight u-joint tool to change mine and it worked like a charm. If you have any questions about it feel free to hit me up. BTW, 214k on that u-joint is amazing. I am wondering if you have some needle bearings that are dust like in mine.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If you rear u-joint is original at 200,000 miles, then it's a good chance that's your problem, or at least a contributor. That and wheel bearings. I've only got 200,000km on mine, and all u-joints and wheel bearings have been done recently. Rolls smooth and true.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts