Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell difference between vibration due to tire balancing, and wheel mounted incorrectly ? Do they have different symptoms ? I had Zero vibration before today, as I rotated my tires at some store. I drove from there, and later on got to a speed of 50 mph, and it starts from there. I went up to 65 and it increased. My wheels are lug centric, so that's a possibility if they were not properly mounted ? And if it's my rear tires that are in the front right now, they had none at all when in the back.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can't answer your question as I've never had a wheel mounted incorrectly. But, is probably tire problem - not hardly noticeable on solid rear axles, but move to front, and you will feel any tire problem.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I had the same issue a few years back. Turned out to be unevenly worn rear tires. The tire shop honored the warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
When a tie/wheel is out of balance on the rear you will barely ever notice it but on the front you will. Good chance you need to balance them.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not think that back to front will make such a difference, from nothing at all to steering wheel vibration. I expected some minor difference from front to rear, but I got confused since I had zero vibrations before rotation. Anyway, I'll go and balance all of them again today ( just did that 10K ago, and that was perfect).

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ended up being balance issue, which wasn't showing when tires were in back. Tires lost some weights while on the road, and did not show any vibration signs till I moved them to the front. Still tire store insists I need to get centering rings, but I don't have any vibration issue without them.

285 Posts
Still tire store insists I need to get centering rings, but I don't have any vibration issue without them.
I would still use the hubcentric rings. I have seen enough pics online of broken studs when people did not use them.

Were the broken studs caused by not using them :dontknow:
Will your studs break from not using them :dontknow:

For me, they are cheap enough for me to not find out.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I researched for rings, amd I can't find any rings to fit my wheels. I got the MB TKO from discount tire, with a 71.5mm center diameter, and I think the X is 66mm, but nowhere was I able to find that size, not even at discount tire. My only chance is to find some place to machine them.
Edit: thoughthard2comeupwithths, I saw your link in another post for custom rings " hub-centric", and I'll give that a try. Thanks a lot.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I tried hub centric, and their CNC machine is under maintenance, and no custom rings till spring 2014. I need 71.5mm to 66.1mm. They have 71.6mm to 66.6mm in stock, and according to their web, 0.5mm up or down is OK. Should I worry about that or order it ? I think they're in Europe as pricing is in Euro and $ , but not sure.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
tire balancing machines need to be calibrated ..... it took my 4 times to get my km2 balanced south of the border..

you want to watch the machine as they do it... you want to see them use the inside flat sticky weights on the inside of the wheel then the sides of the edge or sometimes they will use stickys next to the edge.

also tire balancing machine is another issue.. you should try to find the store that has the special machine...

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm OK for now, no vibrations after rebalancing. I just want to get the centering rings for peace of mind, and my question was: I need 71.5mm to 66.1mm, and store has 71.6mm to 66.6mm and they say a difference of 0.5mm up or down is OK, and wanted to confirm if it's really OK or it has to be dead on ?

285 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts