Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've had a bit of trouble today. The vibration starts around 45 and from there it gradually gets worse as your speed increases. Before 45 it feels normal but you start feeling a small vibration at 45 and by 55-60 it almost feels like you are in a massage chair. As soon as you let off of the gas it stops completely. I thought it could possibly be the transmission but at lower speeds it's fine, its never slipped, and I was driving along at 55 MPH and shifted from D to 3 and the vibration felt exactly the same. The strange thing is that I drove the truck two times, later yesterday afternoon and a couple of hours ago, and it seems to have stopped doing it all together. I was thinking u-joints but it's strange that it would have stopped. It has rained and I did drive through some puddles and that would have wet everything down but I'm really confused. There is no such thing as a fluke when it comes to cars and there is always a cause so suggestions are welcome. By the way, what's a good way to test the u-joints?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I get the same thing I always thought was my driveshaft angle being all jacked . It might be your u joint, it just doesn't make spence to me to be a input because it only happens when you accelerate. Maybe a motor mount?

My truck Is going in to get it Argo Ed and I'm gonna mention the vibe just so atleast they can tell me what they think. Ill let you know what they turn up

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Were you off road or in some mud? Mud caked inside the rim can cause a bad imbalance that would disappear when it gets washed off, such as would happen when driving through puddles or a big rain. That likley wouldn't stop when you let off the gas tho. Hmmmm?

Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,113 Posts
I actually had this happen to me last week where the vibration got really bad and then just slowly faded. I changed the rear u-joint and it has been fine since. I didn't do this but check for play in the driveshaft its not always there, or if you hear any chirping under the truck at slower speeds around 30 (thats what I had).

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I had a vibration like that with mud caked on the inside of my wheels. Think about how small those weights are that balance the wheels - so if some mud gets in there and settles down to one side, that could give some vibrations at higher speeds. But it going away when you take your foot off the gas makes me think it's a tranny thing, or maybe motor mounts - dont have much experience with those

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It picked a grand time to do this because rain is in the forecast for the next week. I really don't have anywhere else to work on it other than the open so I'll have to hope it's stopped doing it for now.
If it was a constant vibration that didn't stop when I took my foot off of the accelerator, or for that matter all together yesterday afternoon, it would probably be easier to diagnose. I'm probably going to check the u-joints first and then move on to other things. I even got to thinking it could be the differential yesterday because it feels as if the vibration is coming more from the rear of the truck. If the u-joints seem fine I may drain the transmission and see if I have a milkshake but that could get expensive seeing as it takes an awful lot of transmission fluid to fill it back up if it was for nothing. Probably drain the diff too, that could probably use a change anyway and that won't be that bad to do. How many quarts of transmission fluid would I need to refill it? Same with the diff if someone has the information handy.
Oh and I'd think if it were motor mounts it would get worse in relation to RPM (IE: Engine torquing) which it doesn't, it's more to do with speed.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
If it stopped doing it after driving in the rain it was mud nor something causing an imbalance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it stopped doing it after driving in the rain it was mud nor something causing an imbalance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Well I'm hoping it's stopped. I haven't driven it today so it might still be doing it and last night may have just been luck of the draw, the rain may have just happened to get here and not have helped the issue any.

·
Registered
128 Posts
this may sound crazy, just read on.i had a slight vibe anytime i went past 65, at around 75 it would die down but it was still there. i was going to have the tires balanced again,after i had new tires put on at 57k and i thought back then the vibe was caused from the tires being old and the wheels needing to be balanced.i just went past 67 this weekend and i was getting ready to take it to the stealership and have them bal them. but this is the crazy thing, i changed out my diff oils and transfer case oil this weekend. drove home from work today 08/19/2013 and got up to 85 mph and not even a slight vibe.dives just like it did when i drove it off the lot. Any chance old or low diff oil could cause a vibe at 65 or higher? mind you i didnt change the diff oils or transfer case oil since i have had this X. i would take it the stealership but i am afraid they'll lie and say its something that it isnt. then again what am i gonna say is wrong with it since there is no symptoms to complain about. anyone else have this problem go away after changing the diff oils?

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
OP any updates on this? Anyone have the part number for u-joint rear driveshaft?

Think mine is shot after wheeling this weekend. I'm having symptons like Primer mentioned.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Vibrations are REALLY tough to diagnose over the internet. The vibe frequency can tell you a lot. Is it a throbbing vibration, buzzing, does it cycle rrrRRRrrrRRRrrrRRR?

U-joints would vibe differently under a load or coasting, same with anything in the diff. Tires will vibe at certain speeds and if they're bad enough, you'd feel the truck "hopping". Front end problems can be felt (usually) in the steering wheel as a buzz. Trans issues can be felt on the shifter.

The more specific you can be, the better the advice will be.

·
on line
612 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It hasn't happened again so I guess it could have been some mud on something causing it to vibrate. If I had to describe it, I would say it was more of a throbbing vibration. Still need to check my u-joints but all of this rain has been hindering my ability to do anything. I hate living it Florida! The sunshine state my a$$....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So no vibrations again but I have a new symptom and this one makes me fairly sure it's the u-joint. It only does it in reverse but it's a creak/squeak and the faster you go, the faster the sound is. It's a strange noise, like something you'd hear from old suspension, an old mattress or spring. Just noticed it this morning bright and early, lovely thing to wake up to....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the help guys. Exactly how hard are these to replace? Looks like they are cheap from the part store so I'm going to get on top of them before they cause more trouble than they are worth.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow, just read your post about the creak/squeak in reverse, it is exactly what I have been hearing when I back into my driveway. I had experienced the vibration the past 2 days, and this afternoon it stopped for me as well. After a bunch of research here today while at work, I decided to buy the parts to replace both U-Joints (I only have 2WD). So for front I bought Moog 280 and for rear Moog 270 from Amazon (so I could get them tomorrow). I also bought the tool to remove and install the U-Joints myself http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OCFIAQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Front (need 2 for 4WD): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HQGTFS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HQGS36/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This gives you a place to start for the part numbers, I used Rock Auto to find the ones to buy, but bought off Amazon so i could get them faster and not pay the shipping.

·
Registered
59 Posts
OK Looks like Rock Auto confused me and I got one item incorrect. According to the Federal Mogul site, the 2WD Xterra uses 2 of the Moog 270's, so I am going to have to send back my 280.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts