Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if the vents that I see in the small storage alcoves in the cargo area serve a purpose or am I safe blocking them with "stuff"? I have some bags that will fit in there perfectly and will block them completely.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
They are a sort of equalizer vent. they keep the X from having too much pressure inside the cab (i think)

I wouldnt seal them off. If you read around on the stereo section, some people have built sub boxes for their X and it was said that they shouldnt cover this area off.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
They are a sort of equalizer vent. they keep the X from having too much pressure inside the cab (i think)
Its not like we take this thing into the air, I dont see how a car needs to have equalizers. Sounds funny to me.
Or maybe I have no clue how air tight our X is. :geek:

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Its not like we take this thing into the air, I dont see how a car needs to have equalizers.
Ever drive down the highway with the windows up, then roll down one of the back windows?

You can feel the pressure change in your ears.

Maybe the vents need to be bigger. :D

·
on line
1,208 Posts
XKNUT said:
Its not like we take this thing into the air, I dont see how a car needs to have equalizers.
Ever drive down the highway with the windows up, then roll down one of the back windows?

You can feel the pressure change in your ears.

Maybe the vents need to be bigger. :D
Nope, but I have been driving down the freeway in my jetta and had the sunroof open, then close it while doing 75mph and thats when I feel the change in my ear....... So my jetta needs some vents.....HHMmmmm

Intresting. :geek:

·
on line
975 Posts
I have a Jetta also and I that about it, or when my daughter rolls down a back window and you get that buffeting. In that car you always need a front window cracked or the sunroof open.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
^^ so true!

·
on line
139 Posts
Hmmm...how about my "freak" experience with not enough equalization?

I used to have an EVO with a sunroof. One day a dump truck went past me coming from the opposite direction and sent a few rocks flying at my car. The rocks bounced of the hood and sunroof, leaving some paint chips on the hood and a couple of tiny little nicks in the glass of the sunroof.

Not much I can do about it, so I get on with my life.

The next day I walk out to the parking deck after work, put my briefcase in the trunk, close the trunk, and all of a sudden I hear a crackling sound. After some investigation I see that my sunroof has shattered into thousands of little pieces (but still sticking together since it's made of that safety glass).

Yup...the pressure change from closing the trunk was enough to exploit the weakness in the sunroof glass and cause it to shatter.

Vents are good!

D-Rock

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I was going to point that aspect out.. When you shut your doors, if there's no windows open, what do you think happens to that air? It's not sucked into the seat cushions j/k.. It's exhausted through those ports.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so in the end all they seem to be for cabin pressure equalization? If so there should be no damage if I was to block them? Most automobiles don't have these or are they more well hidden? I think the idea is great but not well implemented. I mean why would you put these "vents" in an area that you designed to store items and possible block them completely.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
MC asked a dealer and was told not to block them. Thats enough for me to leave them unblocked.

·
on line
97 Posts
You could always put some of your own vent holes in an area less seen and then safely cover these as a option.

·
on line
82 Posts
So do these vents actually vent out to the outside world? If not I can't see them actually helping too much. Is my thinking way off?

·
on line
82 Posts
They do vent to the outside. I had the plastic bumper step off one side last week and thought about taking a picture of them, but it was getting dark, was in too big of hurry to get the camera. They work like a check valve in that they have a rubber flap that opens to let air out if pressure builds inside the cabin enough to kick the flap up. But the flap keeps any dust, water, etc. from coming into the cabin from outside. Not real complicated, simple, but I don't see any reason anyone would want to block these off.

You don't need to let out a lot of air to equalize the pressure. I think there were two or three inch and half by inch and a half (roughly by memory) openings. I thought of this thread and laughed to myself when I saw them.

·
on line
339 Posts
roygil15 said:
Not real complicated, simple, but I don't see any reason anyone would want to block these off.
i believe some of these guys are wondering because they're building jl stealthbox styled sub enclosures...

·
on line
82 Posts
johnlam940 said:
roygil15 said:
Not real complicated, simple, but I don't see any reason anyone would want to block these off.
i believe some of these guys are wondering because they're building jl stealthbox styled sub enclosures...
That would be correct. Fiberglass resin is here today, Jasper Jig on Monday, and plunge router bit any day. Ooh I can't wait. I'm thinking that if I make a small vent behind the box that should be adequate.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Another old thread revival.

But it really is very simple: If you want fresh air in the vehicle, the 'goesinta' has to equal the 'goesoutta'. If not, your blower fan would be working very hard and not moving a whole lot of air if it isn't set for recirc. (Ever use a hair dryer to inflate an air mattress?)

Also, the aerodynamic forces on the car going down the highway do change the pressure within the vehicle due to the Bernouli effect. The wake at the back of the car has lower pressure, and the vents inside the vehicle will then attempt to equalize the pressure inside the vehicle with this lower pressure region. Open vents to the outside on the front help to move air through, even without the fan running.

So the bottom line is don't block these vents via modification like adding a glassed in sub enclosures that blocks the vent. However I don't think there is any way you could effectively block these vents by simply carrying cargo and such.

·
on line
64 Posts
"""They work like a check valve in that they have a rubber flap that opens to let air out if pressure builds inside the cabin enough to kick the flap up. But the flap keeps any dust, water, etc. from coming into the cabin from outside. Not real complicated, simple, but I don't see any reason anyone would want to block these off. ""

I torn out my interior plastic panels and blocked those 2 vents, they are mounted behind the rear wheels inside the wheel wells.

I have a really bad dust problem when driving down desert or mountain roads, everything in the rear area was getting covered in dust, blocking those rubber flap vents in the wheel wells dramatically reduced the dust problem.

poor design on the placement of those vents, they are designed to open up when the vehicle is moving, and being located behind the rear wheels, a lot of the road dust kicked up by the tires comes directly inside the vehicle thru these vents.

~Lewis

1 - 19 of 19 Posts