Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had the VDC activate before. On my way to work this AM I saw a patch of ice ahead just before the apex of a left curve. Got off the gas and when I was close I just pushed in the clutch. Thought I had both axles over the ice when I let the clutch out. Rear end went right, VDC kicked in and that tail came right back in place before I could correct w/ the steering wheel. It appears that the VDC really works, at least in this situation.

·
on line
123 Posts
yea it works well IMO. I just moved to the Reno area from So Cal, so I haven't driven in a lot of snow with the X. Our first snow, I took it out and just played with it to see how far it would go and how the VDC kicked in. I must say I was impressed. I've had other cars with "VDC" like systems and none worked as well as the X does.

·
on line
161 Posts
We have finally reached winter here in the NE and there are finally some ice patches and snow flurries popping up so i can test out my X, and its VDC.

It works outstandingly. I was really suprised, i dont think i got it past 3 degrees of center when i tried to give it some to fishtail the back end out on a patch of ice.... a BIG patch of ice. Basically what happened was is my brakes started doing their thing, the wheel that was opposite of most of the slide, probably the front left, as i was sliding to my right, kicked in, and i straightened out ridiculously fast. I tried to get it back into it, but it wouldnt accept feedback (or that much) from the gas pedal, and the breaks were still goin.... this all happened over about 5 secs mind you.

amazing stuff, nissan did this one correctly.

·
on line
735 Posts
I'll admit that I have had it work inadvertantly (actual unexpected engagement to save my butt on wet roads) as well as on purpose when I just want to attempt to fluster the software engineers, but those guys seemed to have put a lot of testing into the system.. The best part is being able to turn it off for sand or special situations where you want to keep wheelspeed and rpm up.

That's one area where GM vehicles really scare me... I owned one where the ABS had a glitch or two..deadly glitches..talk about crapping your pants. that's what happens when your management doesn't allow the engineers to do what they need to do.

I also don't care for the intrusion of the toyota trac/abs in awd mode. The nissan "off" button is sooo much more useful than having to switch 4wd modes or whatnot to get the direct drive sans electronic nanny. Now if we could just get our 200mm front diff back...

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I had the chance to test an LR3 on icy roads when that storm hit TX a few weeks ago. I was so impressed with its response and control I was starting to doubt my X, (since I have never been on ice with her yet) but I got the chance to test her last week when I was in Ohio. It is not LR3 but Good Lord she was amazing on Ice. Not ever again I will doubt her.

·
on line
641 Posts
buxwheat said:
Never had the VDC activate before....VDC kicked in and that tail came right back in place before I could correct w/ the steering wheel. It appears that the VDC really works, at least in this situation.
Two days after I bought my X last September, I was testing the VDC on my X :)

In 2WD, driving quickly on gravel roads that had potholes. In particular, with those conditions, at corners/bends, the rear end will "slide out". I'm used to driving in those conditions with my old Pathfinder, so I 'automatically' do the necessary steering corrections.

With the X, when the VDC would kick in, I really didn't like it! The VDC would do it's corrections, but so would I, so the net effect was often an over-correction. Nothing that caused problems - it's just not what I was used to. I made a point to turn VDC off for some parts, to try and get a feel for what it could or couldn't do. Since then, I've also experimented with the VDC on snowy roads.

My conclusion so far is to always leave it on. If nothing else, when you are going at a good clip down a gravel road, and you hear/feel the noise from the VDC working, it may remind you to slow down and drive at the right speed for the conditions ;-)

·
on line
210 Posts
VDC works and it saves me from an "head on collision" few weeks ago: a stupid driver coming the opposite direction was stopped with his front wheels fully turned left (towrds me); a second stupid driver rear-end the first one; the first one is now sitting right in front on me :-()... Evasive maneuver - break right/break left to do a super quick line change... A concerto of "electronic" and I was through... Safe, no scratch, nothing...

I wound'nt have put my fingers between the side of my X and the other guy bumper but I was good...

VDC really works on extra-cold wet pavement...

·
on line
79 Posts
yea i have noticed the VDC as well. its amazing how well it works. ive actually tried to fishtail and do cookies and stuff with it and its next to impossible to do. nissan did a great job on it. the first time i heard the noise it kinda freaked me out.

·
on line
735 Posts
when I'm pulling out onto a highway from a dirt road, I turn it off becasue it won't let you spin the wheels at all (the inside one is gonna spin some) and I don't like the cut in power when I need to get up to 60 mph in a hurry transitioning from the dirt.

·
on line
41 Posts
It does work. I usually take it off when I four wheel at low speeds. I forgot to turn it back on on a snow covered dirt road. Yep slid sideways right into a snowbank. No damage luckly.
The best part is you can turn it off if you want to have some fun. It seems though if you have too much fun it kicks back in even when turned off. Anybody else seen this?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Yeah. You can turn off the VDC, but the computer still sends a rapid braking message to the slipping wheel, even in Low-4 or with the VDC off. It's designed that way. Maybe someone knows the technical details, I don't. Shred around in the sand in High 4 with it off and that "bouncing" rattle of brake flutter is still always right there with you. It's actually hard to skid out, even if you try.

But in crawling-type situations, it's a non factor.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
d-rap said:
Yeah. You can turn off the VDC, but the computer still sends a rapid braking message to the slipping wheel, even in Low-4 or with the VDC off. It's designed that way. Maybe someone knows the technical details, I don't. Shred around in the sand in High 4 with it off and that "bouncing" rattle of brake flutter is still always right there with you. It's actually hard to skid out, even if you try.

But in crawling-type situations, it's a non factor.
VDC is for stability control only. That noise you hear when on the sand is the ABLS or brake assisted Limited Slip, it doesn't let a tire spin when the others are not thus transferring power to the tires that need it

·
on line
1,479 Posts
d-rap said:
Thanks for the clarification. So what's the mechanism behind the VDC? Isn't it still at least partially brake related?
yes, it uses the brakes and also the throttle to correct any maneuvers that the computer might sense as dangerous.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
syndicate said:
It only cuts power though, right?
I think so but not sure..

·
on line
1,831 Posts
What I mean is that is that the VDC does not add throttle, ever. It only cuts throttle and applies brakes. Correct?

·
on line
516 Posts
Where is the VDC when I need it

First off let me say that I'm confident from previous snow driving experiences Pre-X, to the point of safely inducing four wheel drifts and oversteer with confidence and control. Add the VDC stability of the Xterra and I really don't expect any drama when it's on.

Honestly though - the VDC has saved my butt at least once or twice, but two nights ago I fish-tailed (right-left-right) at highway speeds. No damage.

We had snow and ice falling in the NY City Area recently. And for those of you familiar with it -

1) I was traveling West on the Grand Central. (approx 40 mph)
2) Got onto the BQE merge exit.
3) Took the inside lane going thru the tunnel
4) Upon tunnel exit accellerated, and changed lanes to pass car on left.
5) 7 Seconds of accelleration (approx 50-55 mph)
6) Rear-End starts to come to the front-right-side.
7) Dialed in some opposite lock
8) Rear-End starts to come to the front-left-side.
9) Dialed in some opposite lock
10) Rear-End starts to come to the front-right-side.
11) I regained control

I'm not 100% sure of every step taken but I think I steped on the clutch when the oversteer began. I don't rembmer if I put the 6-speed in neutral. During 8,9,10 I was on the breaks lightly. I could hear and feel the ABS working (not sure if the helped or hurt my recovery).

So my question is this.

Does VDC disengage if I step on the clutch or go into neutral?

Boy-oh-Boy do I wish I could get the telemetry download from this weekend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts