Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question, but since I rarely wheel with other next gens I thought I would ask.

I was at PAP with weekend and the ground was snow covered. I was in 4LO the entire time. However, I noticed that when my front tires slipped a little the ABS would go nuts. If the rear slipped I would get the slip light.

Is this normal? I always thought in 4LO VDC was disabled.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
muzikman said:
That's not VDC, that's your ABLS kicking in.
Ah. drives me nuts. I use it as my indicator when to let off the gas.

·
on line
95 Posts
Does it have a loud clicking noise when you lose traction? Mine has the loud clicking noise both with braking and acceleration when I am on snow and slipping. Happens in RWD, or 4WD. I havn't had to put in 4WD low in snow yet...

Does this cause any damage, or could it cause damage?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes.

Not it is your ABLS system using the brakes to help grab some traction.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I switch it off when off-road anyway. Having it kick in when you don't expect it can cause some unexpected, possibly negative, side effects.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You can't turn off the ABLS and VDC turns off when in 4Lo.

If you are in 4Lo and you see the slip light coming on, just keep on the gas lightly and it will help you out.

·
on line
3,484 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
ABS, I can see reasons to turn it off while wheeling, but ABLS, I can't think of one time when I would have ratehr had one wheel spinnging like crazy and the other wheel doing nothing.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
muzikman said:
ABS, I can see reasons to turn it off while wheeling, but ABLS, I can't think of one time when I would have ratehr had one wheel spinnging like crazy and the other wheel doing nothing.
X2

·
on line
1,479 Posts
hey MC does your mod also disables the ABLS?

·
on line
1,479 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Yep it ditches it all in one button. The ABLS can't work when the ABS does not work. If I got a new X, that would be one of the 1st Mods. MC
I am seriously considering it... oh what the heck I will do it. I am going shopping tomorrow for materials

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Wonder if you have some snow getting that way? If ya do, take it to a parking lot, get up to like 25 and mash the brakes. Then, do it again same speed and same spot mash the brakes, when you stop, you will be able to see where you stopped the 1st time over the hood.

Heck! You don't even have to do the install to check it, just pull the ABS fuse, then decide. It most noteably works when going backwards down a hill, in Mud, and loose terain.
MC

·
on line
135 Posts
I remembered reading about this mod but I can't find it now. What was it called again?

Signed,

Duh?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like it because it is a reminder to me to be light on the gas. And for a casual wheeler like myself it works great.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
muzikman said:
I turn it off when I want to control how much I fish-tail.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts