Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my 2010 Xterra for a couple years now and absolutely love it. But a couple weeks ago the abs vdc and slip lights all came on. The first thing I did was check the break pads and fluid, the fluid was a little low so I topped it off. But it didn’t have any effect on the lights. Then it started to randomly go into limited slip mode where the slip light flashes and it cuts power to the wheels when accelerating from a stop. If I just wait a minute it comes out of it. Also on occasion I feel chattering in the breaks like the abs is activating. At first the lights were all intermittent and only came on now and then but now they are on all the time, doesn’t matter if I turn it off and back on they remain on. I know there are some similar posts on here but I didn’t see any that had both problems. Any help would be awesome, would really like to avoid bringing it to the shop. Thank you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Scan for codes and post any here, that will be the best way for the community to help you. If you don't have a scanner, you can scan it for free at most auto parts stores / sometimes they just let you borrow the tool too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve had my 2010 Xterra for a couple years now and absolutely love it. But a couple weeks ago the abs vdc and slip lights all came on. The first thing I did was check the break pads and fluid, the fluid was a little low so I topped it off. But it didn’t have any effect on the lights. Then it started to randomly go into limited slip mode where the slip light flashes and it cuts power to the wheels when accelerating from a stop. If I just wait a minute it comes out of it. Also on occasion I feel chattering in the breaks like the abs is activating. At first the lights were all intermittent and only came on now and then but now they are on all the time, doesn’t matter if I turn it off and back on they remain on. I know there are some similar posts on here but I didn’t see any that had both problems. Any help would be awesome, would really like to avoid bringing it to the shop. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The scanner I have only checks engine codes. And the check engine light isn’t on. Will the shops be able to scan for abs codes or something like that?
Scan for codes and post any here, that will be the best way for the community to help you. If you don't have a scanner, you can scan it for free at most auto parts stores / sometimes they just let you borrow the tool too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The scanner I have only checks engine codes. And the check engine light isn’t on. Will the shops be able to scan for abs codes or something like that?
I meant it as general advice, I assumed that you've thrown a code of some sort that might clue us in, you have no codes shown?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven’t even tried yet. I figured the light would be on if it was throwing any codes. But I will do that as well in the morning and see if it picks anything up.

·
Well then...
1,077 Posts
Excellent, I will give this a try tomorrow. Thank you. I’ll post what I come up with.
If you find the connection is loose, disconnect the battery's negative terminal for a few seconds, reconnect and ensure it's snug. When you turn the X on, it'll have the VDC light lit on the dash. Drive to an area where the road is straight and relatively lightly trafficked. Come to a complete stop, put it in park, turn the key off and take the key out, put it back in and start the X, put it in drive and proceed slowly with the wheel as straight as possible. Within 500 feet the VDC light should turn off.

^That's the general procedure to resetting/calibrating the steering column sensor that seems to cause these type of issues. It is tied in with the computer's VDC, ABS, 4X4 (if equipped) and ABLS systems. When the negative cable is loose, it is like you are consistently resetting the computer and the sensor wants to be calibrated. Eventually it gets mad and will go into a sort of limp mode and throws fits like you are describing, kind of like your gf or wife will if you ignore a problem long enough.

Godspeed sir.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts