Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE

:eek:ccasion9: I am pleased to annouce this will now be an annual event. :eek:ccasion9:

This will be the 1st of course - what better way to really get the VAXC back on it's feet and rolling again then to hold an event to bring in Spring? :cheers:

When: Friday March 28th - Sunday March 30th

Where: 38.5069045-79.154226 (GPS Coordinates)

Google Map Pin

After the trip this past weekend, everyone got the wheeling bug pretty bad. We had about 11-13 rigs all over GWNF, checking out different trails and camping. Looks like some members found a pretty decent site to set up camp for the night (or nights), so we can wheel during the day.

So how about it? Who is down for some wheeling, camping, and good times with our rigs and other club members?

GOING
obi_krash +1 and 1 dog
A2LAB-X + 2 dogs
Mitch (unsure of username)
NickX

MAYBE
slimjim1
OffRdX
Bloodvayne
Wargent
Zach (4RunnerX - yeah i made that up)
Marc (from FB, unsure of user name)
Will (from FB, unsure of user name)
Donnie (from FB, unsure of user name)

PLANS - to be updated as information is available
obi_krash (RVA) - I am heading up on friday night after work from RVA.
A2LAB-X (RVA) - heading up saturday (morning?)
OffRdX (HR) - going to be there weekend before, unsure if can make it event weekend
Wargent (NRFK) - head up after work on friday
Mitch - heading up Friday, meeting up in RIC with obi

(thanks OffRdX and Sn0 for finding and setting this up!)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This is the area we will be setting up for the night. There is a ton of room for rigs and tents. It was cold and windy so we didn't get a very good feel for how much firewood there is available up there. I plan on filling all the extra space I have with firewood, the more the better.

·
Registered
269 Posts
As always depends on my schedule so it's a tentative maybe for me. What's needed for the camping bit...tents or.....err I don't camp. I don't know.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clearly - I am down. It will be myself and the pup, baby mama is going to sit this one out, ha!

Sn0 - I have actually little experience with portable generators, so I am going to leave that up to everyone else. I was planning on bringing some firewood (in case) and a propane burner with me. I use it for brewing, figured we could use it to cook if the camp fire takes too long to heat up. Or even just to heat up water to wash up in the morning.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The portable generator will only be brought if it is really cold because then I can setup some electric blankets to keep the wife and kids toasty warm. But it's going to be too loud, then I'll camp away from folks.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Too loud??? That's what the beer is for, then we have to worry about being too loud ourselves haha...just kidding I usually take it easy so I'm not feeling it the next day. It shouldn't be too cold by March, hopefully. The tent worked just fine in the snow and temperature in the teens. As long as you have a sleeping back and a blanket you'll be fine. My sleeping bag is only rated to 32F i think. I wasn't cold at all once I got into bed.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I remember correctly, I was wearing shorts by last March. Granted I am from MA and all, but there were VA people doing it too. I don't think you should have to worry about it Sn0. I mean, I'm not even bringing a tent - since it's just me I will be camped in the back of the MX - with a window cracked for air.

I will say though - since we do not know how much wood we can really grab from the surrounding area or while wheeling, if everyone could bring at least 2-3 of those bundles it would rock. You know, the ones you get from the hardware or grocery store.

·
Registered
269 Posts
So...bring an axe lol. If everyone gets one bundle of fire wood from a store and brings it along it should be more than enough I would think. I think I'll stock up on booze. Going to need a tent..and some other supplies clearly from reading this thread. Maybe just the xterra...I do have some memory foam that should fit in the back with all the seats down. I think we shouldn't have much of an issue fire wise personally.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
For just one person sleeping inside your X is the best way to go. Not much point in bothering with setting up a tent for yourself, I never do anyways. I use the tent when I bring people along. As far as wood goes, bringing a couple bundles is a good idea to get the fire going. I always bring a hatchet and axe so we can find more along the trail before we get up there also. I just don't like relying on trying to find dry wood to get a fire started.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've got 2 adults, 2 kids, and a dog coming, so they'll be sleeping in the X while I'll crash out in the tent or a hammock between two X's.

Anyone know the risk of bear in the area? I will make sure to bring some bear stoppers just in case.

Anyone else already wishing it was February and March yet? I've got a run to Harlan, KY over Valentine's Weekend, Gulches in SC the beginning of March, and then this run the end of March! Literally just day dreaming until it all happens! And this was supposed to be my "off season"! :D

Sn0

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know the risk of bear in the area? I will make sure to bring some bear stoppers just in case.
I had never even thought about that. A few members carry however, and I hope to be by the time this comes around. But most of us (or all) have camping experience, so as long as we use common sense it should be fine in regards to most visitors. Except racoons man, I swear if they terrorize me like they always do - I will be rocking a new hat on the way home.

and Cal - if it's just you man there is no point to tent it. Especially if you have the memory foam thing. I would save yourself the trouble of putting that thing up, taking it down, and eventually cleaning it out.

and yeah Sn0 - I am kinda wanting to hit "fast forward" and get this going, ha!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So, I went ahead a bought a little tent (LINKY) since the wife and the girls will be sleeping in the Xterra. I figured this would be big enough for me (and maybe the wife), and I don't have to deal with any tent pools or anything. While this tent won't standup in snow or high winds, it should be sufficient enough for this trip.

Next item: Generator (Possibly LINKY since it's small and cheap, but should still be able to run a few heater blankets)

Any thoughts on the small generator? I was hoping there was still the $90 honda generator's for sale, but I can't find them anymore.

Sn0

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm pretty much setup the way I want to be for now. With Summer coming I need to put my money into my motorcycle. I want a set of Hefty bumpers next though for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the only thing I will be spending money on (besides food and gas) for this trip is a power inverter. I don't mind roughing it, but if I can have a blow up mattress in the back of the MX, yeah, I will.

·
Registered
918 Posts
FYI you don't need a power inverter. The unit use to blow up the mattress is battery operated. I have one with different size nozzles. Plus I have a power inverter in my rig if you really need one.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts