Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, a few weeks ago i did a bypass and a transmission flush with Nissan ATF. I filled it the about half way on the hot side when the xterra was hot. I shifted it through all the gears and drove it around and reverified the level all was well. So i noticed that the level was about 2-3 mm past the full mark on the hot end a couple days later. So i bought a little and pump to get some out. When i check the level again it had dropped to not even registering on the stick. Then check it again full past the park. Today went to pump it out and now it's below the mark on hot when it's hot. What's the deal. The bypass was really simple just switch hoses, could that cause that much variance in the levels?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Relek

·
on line
2,875 Posts
yes sir. Went through all the gears also.
Do u have access to the diagram in the factory service manual showing how to check level? Its kinda weird but engine needs to be running whenever u check it either hot or cold.

Go out when x has sat all night and unbolt dipstick. Start truck then immediately pull the stick, wipe, reinsert the proper way for checking which means the bolt tabs are 180 degrees apart and then check level. Should be in the cold range. If not, add a little at a time and keep checking. When hot my stick reads slightly beyond full which is normal per the fsm diagram. That level is greatly affected by trans fluid temp. My hot is 149f or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Some bits of info here pulled from the various other threads about checking ATF levels. Not saying this fixes your issue, you may have an issue or you may not, but first just make sure you're checking the levels correctly. Get it up to 176 degrees and check with the dipstick flipped 180 degrees etc.

"Warm" or "hot" according to Nissan is 176 degrees. That was the stated temperature to be using the hot side of the measurement on the dipstick. I have to try to get my transmission that hot so simply driving a few mins probably won't do it. I forget what the "Cold" temp was recommended as, but I remember it was somewhere in the mid 120-130 degrees. That you could probably just drive for 15-20 mins and then use the cold side of the dipstick...although it recommended measuring at 176.

Here is the graph Jeff mentioned as posted in my 08 service manual.

And my diagram is a bit different than OP's. And when I turn my stick 180° from the bolt tab, it goes down very little. I'd say less than 1/16"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts