Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 4x4 S Xterra. It just hit 200K miles and I decided to replace the spark plugs again (did them at 100K also). Unfortunately for me, one of the 10mm bolts that holds the coilpack in place sheared off as I tried to remove it from the #3 cylinder. I believe that in order to fix this, I will need to replace the whole valve cover. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But assuming I am right, then I have a few questions.

1) Even though I only need to replace one of the covers, would it be advisable to replace both valve covers at the same time? Or should I just leave the other one alone? What are the pros vs cons?
2) Should I buy after market parts or Nissan OEM?
3) What part numbers I need to do this job?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
All it has to do is hold the coil, honestly it likely be ok with out the bolt, it just sits there and doesn't move, over long period of time not bolted in it might vibrate out of place. You can replace the cover, up to you. Replacing the cover would be the proper way to handle it, but in a jam or temporary like be ok. The other side would only need to replace the gasket, Cover should be fine. Honestly if the otherside isn't leaking, I wouldn't even touch or worry about it. Make sure your new cover comes with a gasket or purchase if it doesn't. Aftermarket would be ok, It's not an elelectronic or load baring component.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts