Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 4x4 S Xterra. It just hit 200K miles and I decided to replace the spark plugs again (did them at 100K also). Unfortunately for me, one of the 10mm bolts that holds the coilpack in place sheared off as I tried to remove it from the #3 cylinder. I believe that in order to fix this, I will need to replace the whole valve cover. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But assuming I am right, then I have a few questions.

1) Even though I only need to replace one of the covers, would it be advisable to replace both valve covers at the same time? Or should I just leave the other one alone? What are the pros vs cons?
2) Should I buy after market parts or Nissan OEM?
3) What part numbers I need to do this job?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
All it has to do is hold the coil, honestly it likely be ok with out the bolt, it just sits there and doesn't move, over long period of time not bolted in it might vibrate out of place. You can replace the cover, up to you. Replacing the cover would be the proper way to handle it, but in a jam or temporary like be ok. The other side would only need to replace the gasket, Cover should be fine. Honestly if the otherside isn't leaking, I wouldn't even touch or worry about it. Make sure your new cover comes with a gasket or purchase if it doesn't. Aftermarket would be ok, It's not an elelectronic or load baring component.

·
Registered
135 Posts
OP was asking for part numbers. Here is a reply I made to a YouTube video on the subject. I thought I would paste it here in case it can help someone down the road.

I suggest you buy an entire new valve cover from Nissan. They are only $35 each from Courtesy Nissan online. Why? The valve covers themselves have 3 rubber gaskets that part of the valve cover that seal up your spark plug wells (those tubes that you slide your spark plugs down into). Those spark plug well gaskets fail and leak oil into the spark plug well filling it up. That oil seeps past the threads of the spark plug (no, I'm not kidding) and into the cylinder where it fouls your plug and the burned oil does not do your catalytic converter any favors. That gasket is NOT serviceable, it is part of the valve cover. Do a search on thenewx.org and you will see it is a common problem. Usually the spark plug well closest to the firewall. My driver side failed and started leaking oil into the well around 130,000 miles, and the passenger side started around 160,000. I would replace that entire cover while you have it all apart. They are part number 13264-EA200 and 13264-EA210. Something I want to add here......I've always used Permatex Ultra Black RTV for something like this. BUT....When I was doing this job last summer, I noticed Permatex® Ultra Synthetic Gasket Maker......Advanced formula RTV Gasket Maker designed specifically for resistance to unique synthetic motor oil chemical properties. Prevents leak paths commonly associated with synthetic motor oils. Recommended for close tolerances and high performance parts. Temperatures up to 500° F Intermittent. Import/Domestic compatible. https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...-gasket-maker/ Since I run synthetic oil, I was glad to stumble onto this product.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts