Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the car wash yesterday, and apparently when I was using the brush on the wheels, I broke a valve cap. The plastic part that holds the green indicator came off and let all the air out of my tire. What a POS!! I took the rest of the vavle cap off and couldn't find the plastic part. luckily I had a little air compressor with me to fill the tire back up.

Anyone know the cost on one of these?

·
on line
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah. The ones that show green when the tires are inflated ok, yellow when low, and then red when too low. They came with the vehicle. Didn't yours?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Nope, mine came with a TPMS, which is also a --

-----------------P.O.S.---------------

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, no, those things are complete junk and I would never put them on a vehicle. Did you buy your X used?

Remove them and put on normal black plastic caps.

Like Jimbo said, the X already has a Tire Pressure Monitor System built in. It will let you know when one of your tires is low by beeping and showing a yellow light on the dash.

·
on line
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought it brand spanking new. All their cars on the lot have these damn things. Can't believe how easy it must have been to break, and on top of that they let all the air out of your tire when they break off. SUCKS!!

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I even think the little plastic silver ones that came with my X are pretty flimsy.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, I know what you are talking about, they sell them at Walmart. I have never seen an Xterra that came with them. I'm pretty sure it's a dealer thing.

Like I said, they are useless, take them off and put on regular plastic caps.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Be careful with the caps you buy. When I got my new tires mounted they "lost" 3 of my aluminum caps and replaced them with the cheap plastic ones. My TPMS kept acting up so I went back and got them to put metal caps on. Without touching the pressure in my tires this eliminated the TPMS problems.

·
on line
500 Posts
kneebuster said:
Be careful with the caps you buy. When I got my new tires mounted they "lost" 3 of my aluminum caps and replaced them with the cheap plastic ones. My TPMS kept acting up so I went back and got them to put metal caps on. Without touching the pressure in my tires this eliminated the TPMS problems.
Perhaps the metal caps improve radio transmition of the TPMS wireless system.

Patrick

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Congradulations Kneebuster, Now you will get an anniversary card from NISSAN--

-- :blackeye: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,123 Posts
It didn't make much sense to me either until I checked a bit more and found that some TPMS sensors use the stem as an antenna. All I know is that I had problems for over a week. All I did was change the caps and everything is good with the world (or at least in TPMS land).

·
on line
238 Posts
Check your valve cores. You may be getting a small leak from them. The metal caps have a seal in them where the plastic ones don't. The methal ones may be making a secondary seal that holds the leak. I had that problem with mine when I got new tires. I tightened down the valve cores (two of them) and the problem was gone.

·
on line
776 Posts
caps

mcampana said:
I thought for a second there you guys were talking about "Tire Flys." Those caps that light up when you drive making your wheel look like it has a circle of light around it!
You would like those you friggin ****!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts