Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about new tires and read with interest some of the posts on this site. Many talk abou the "road hazard" warranties and their abilitiy to have a tire replaced if they damage it. Is there really any value here for us? My understanding is that we need to have matched diameters (e.g. tread depth) on all four tires in a 4x4. If I put 10k miles on a set and damage one, don't I need to replace all 4? I doubt that any warranty is going to pay for all the tires. The problem would become worse the more the tires wear. This would argue for doing a 5 wheel rotation as then your spare would have similar wear to the other 4. This will only help if you damage 1 tire and you'd still be screwed if you damage a second. Am I wrong about needing roughly equally worn tires on all 4 corners?

·
on line
576 Posts
Re: Value of "road hazard" warranty and 5 wheel ro

kneebuster said:
...My understanding is that we need to have matched diameters (e.g. tread depth) on all four tires in a 4x4?...
Well, the only time you want matching tread would be for LSD and lockers (mainly detroits). Having uneven tread on an open diff is fine, but if you can avoid it, by all means do so.

If you have a full size spare, you can rotate it in with the new tire. This would allow two new tires on the vehicle and you could take the tire that wasnt damaged (but worn down) and now use it as your spare.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well i got the hazard protection on my 35's with free replacement (or a deep discount replacement cant remember) on all the tires up to 50% treadlife, which includes all on and off road useage. After 50% ware the price climbs a little but still isnt anywhere close to the price you would pay per tire if you didnt have the coverage.

If you need to get one replaced and are worried about the uneven ware on the tires.... just slash one with a sharp rock or something and say it happpened on a trail.....

I know, I know, thats not the proper way to go about handleing things.... but hey I guarantee you that they hire statasticians that factor that into the price of the hazard protection package. Which is why its so high.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hadn't even thought about "accidentally" damaging a 2nd tire at the same time. That's one of the reasons I love this group.

How many folks are doing a 5 wheel rotation? My Shrockworks rear bumper should be in next month so doing this rotation would be easier.

·
on line
631 Posts
ive never done 5 wheel rotation ever. my 4 Dakota M/Ts have 40k mile warranty with the road hazard plan on it. so if i damage one tire within 40k miles its replaced for free. but if my tread is half, well then i will "accidentaly damage all four" and get them replaced for free. my spare is a new tire i got at a used tire shop in utah. paid $5 for it, and hopefully i will never have to use it.

but some friends of mine work for tire shops, and its not uncommon for a 4WD vehicle that actually goes off-road, to come in with 4 damaged tires. if its under warranty, use it to your advantage.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I do 5-tire rotations and buy the road hazard. At my tire place, it's free, no questions asked. Many tires can be fixed, and for the odd one that can't, I have a fifth tire with similar wear. When I go to buy new tires, I don't have one new one that I may not need.

Let's say you rip a sidewall open on some BFG ATs at 20K and have to use the spare. Then the new tire becomes your spare, and you switch to a 4-tire rotation. Lose another tire, you're at square one, lol!

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Maybe, but maybe not if you wheel hard, since you'll get chunks gouged out of your tires eventually. The tread may not be worn out at say 40K, but it will have enough pieces out of it that you'll want to replace the tires for traction. At least that's been my experience. Obviously the particular tire is a huge variable here.

·
on line
631 Posts
mcampana said:
I do have a good chunck out of my front driver side tire and wheel, but fold that thing back over and ya never see it
haha!! this just made me laugh. good way to end my sh***y day

1 - 12 of 12 Posts