Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 S, black, base model
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this has been asked,I searched and couldn't find anything. Do pro4x leaf springs fit on a regular model? I want to do a 2" lift eventually, but my leaf springs are going so I cant afford that right now and am just going to concentrate on replacing the leaf springs.

Do they fit? Is it worth finding a pair at a scrappie or will they have the same problem eventually? Should I just buy new aftermarket one?

I am in Calgary Alberta btw, so selection of aftermarket products is limited

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It's a safe bet that on a 15 year old forum about a truck that was pretty much unchanged for a decade, whatever you can think of has probably been asked :p

The search function isn't always the best though, so it can be hard to find it. I like to search by entering this into google: "site:thenewx.org [search words]". That limits the google search only to this site. For this question I just googled "site:thenewx.org leaf springs trim levels"

No difference in leaf springs between different trim levels. If it's not much more money to get new aftermarket ones, do that, but yes this would be a good option to get you by.

thenewx.org/threads/leaf-springs-and-shocks.69713/

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
935 Posts
So the factory leaf springs are the same on all models, it was just the shocks that changed on the off-road/PRO-4x.
That being said Nissan used crap springs on these so a set of used factory springs with 80,000 miles or so are going to be pretty much the same junk that you are taking off.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
He mentioned in an earlier post that he had 170K miles FWIW.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
947 Posts
No lift from P4X and OR springs. They are all the same as yours.
Buy new ones unless you can find a set under 50,000 miles/km that are CHEAP.

Only way to lift in rear is from shackles or new aftermarket leafs.
If you want to do it cheap for now; buy an “add a leaf” and adjustable shackles. That’ll tighten up the rear a bit and get you the 2” you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems I am better off with new, aftermarket springs. These are about $325CAD each here

No lift from P4X and OR springs. They are all the same as yours.
Buy new ones unless you can find a set under 50,000 miles/km that are CHEAP.

Only way to lift in rear is from shackles or new aftermarket leafs.
If you want to do it cheap for now; buy an “add a leaf” and adjustable shackles. That’ll tighten up the rear a bit and get you the 2” you want.

So, you are saying that an add a leaf is a temporary fix to stiffen up the back end and raise it back to (somewhat), stock height? This way I can replace the springs at a later date when funds allow?

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
947 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems I am better off with new, aftermarket springs. These are about $325CAD each here

So, you are saying that an add a leaf is a temporary fix to stiffen up the back end and raise it back to (somewhat), stock height? This way I can replace the springs at a later date when funds allow?
Add a leaf will improve the stiffness a bit. May or may not bring height up. Most who have done this have had good results.

Shackles are needed to get the 2” lift you desire.

·
Super Moderator
4,481 Posts
The heavy duty springs from General Spring are frequently used to replace worn out Xterra factory leaf springs. You will have to ask them about shipping to Canada.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
935 Posts
The heavy duty springs from General Spring are frequently used to replace worn out Xterra factory leaf springs. You will have to ask them about shipping to Canada.

I want to see this 2016 Xterra that they fit, LOL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I have just found a place in Calgary that makes the leaf springs here and they're only $255CAD a side. Gonna do a bit of research to see if they're any good

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I dont know if this has been asked,I searched and couldn't find anything. Do pro4x leaf springs fit on a regular model? I want to do a 2" lift eventually, but my leaf springs are going so I cant afford that right now and am just going to concentrate on replacing the leaf springs.

Do they fit? Is it worth finding a pair at a scrappie or will they have the same problem eventually? Should I just buy new aftermarket one?

I am in Calgary Alberta btw, so selection of aftermarket products is limited
I recently installed a set of rear springs and front struts and springs on my '06 S and it was a direct swap. No differences. I've been on Xterra forums since '15 and I've heard about the same number of people claim that a Pro-4x is taller than a non P4X, as those that have said there is no difference. All I can tell you is that my '06 S with P4X suspension rides at the same height as stock my stock X did. You do the math.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I recently installed a set of rear springs and front struts and springs on my '06 S and it was a direct swap. No differences. I've been on Xterra forums since '15 and I've heard about the same number of people claim that a Pro-4x is taller than a non P4X, as those that have said there is no difference. All I can tell you is that my '06 S with P4X suspension rides at the same height as stock my stock X did. You do the math.
The OR / P4X are about 1/2" taller, but only because of the 75 series tires.

No ride height difference in suspension. Same leafs / springs, different shocks.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I don't believe I would ever consider putting used OEM leaf springs on my X. Seems like a waste of money. I'd rather keep running the worn out ones I have while saving for new General leafs.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If swapping springs was an easier job, I might consider replacing a set of worn springs with some which were used and in good condition.

With this being said, I dont wish to make a habit of swapping leaf springs as this is not a repair I want to do more than once.

When my springs need replacing I will do so with a new set and forget about ever doing it again.

Reactions: Brunnie

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
935 Posts
I think it really depends on what we use our Xterras for and everyone is different so there is not a one size fits all answer. On mine I wasn't sure what direction I was going to go but my 2011 PRO-4X at 90,000 miles was horrible in the back and bottomed out on everything even empty. I wasn't sure I wanted to lift or what springs to use and a forum member was selling a single Deaver AAL for cheap so I bought that and a 1/2" spacer he had for the front. There was a huge improvement immediately. Even my wife thought it was a brand new car with different suspension it was so much better. Gone was the constant bottoming out and body roll. So we loaded all our camping gear and headed on a 9 day camping/road trip and quickly realized we were back to bottoming out pretty easily. Then when we got home we went to the sand dunes empty and it bottoms our really bad on higher speed sand whoops which really sucked.
1. I found the stock springs to be really soft and pretty unexceptable for even daily driving and would not want a used set unless it was low mileage and I just needed to keep the car on the road.
2. If you run empty and use it for DD or mild off roading then I think I would be pretty happy with the single AAL.
3. If you haul camping loads or have a big bumper and tire carrier and do more high speed/difficult off road I think you really need to upgrade the springs beyond an AAL and is the direction I am heading.

·
Super Moderator
4,481 Posts
Factory leaves + 2-leaf Deaver/PRG AAL has worked well on my '05 Offroad since installed in 2013.

At the time I didn't think a single leaf AAL would be enough. The above post confirms it.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
935 Posts
Factory leaves + 2-leaf Deaver/PRG AAL has worked well on my '05 Offroad since installed in 2013.

At the time I didn't think a single leaf AAL would be enough. The above post confirms it.
I wouldn't mind trying the double AAL but I think you are correct on the single, it's really not worth it when the double is available. I also don't like the stores of the stock springs cracking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts