Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do people only use 4 Hi when offroad except when the vehicle can't pull a hill, then go into 4 Lo? 4 Lo is there for a reason, use it. When I'm offroading, other than a dirt doad, I'm in 4 Lo. Use the torque that you bought. It is much better on the whole powertrain to be easing along in the right gear than lugging along in too high of a gear. This is very important in an automatic. At low RPMs the torque converter can't get enough pressure and lock-up. You will also burn-up clutch packs (yes, automatics have clutch packs) Horse power and torque is in the upper RPM range, not at 1500 RPMs.

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correction, DIRT ROAD.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I like 2HI! LOL who need 4wd??

But yes you are correct. But remember, alot of wheelers arent experienced. I remember when I first started to play around in 4wd.... I really didnt know what i was doing. It took some experienced guys to teach me.....

Spread the knowledge!

·
on line
3,285 Posts
You forgot to mention that 4Lo allows you to DRIVE down a hill instead of COAST down a hill. When coasting, the only way to slow down is to put the brakes on. Using the brakes too much will cause brake fade (brakes will be less efficient). Also, it will cause a lot of unnecessary brake wear.

·
on line
155 Posts
Speaking of inexperience(moi), this might be a silly question, but will the 4WD system suffer any ill effects if NOT used? I've had my X for almost two years, but sadly I haven't had the time to take it into the dirt off roading. The closest I've gotten to off roading was the dirt road on the way to the base of the Amboy craters lol. But I'm making it a point this year to start. So, for the experienced guys here, is it bad yay or nay?

·
on line
122 Posts
will the 4WD system suffer any ill effects if NOT used? I've had my X for almost two years, but sadly I haven't had the time to take it into the dirt off roading.
:pale:

Only emotionally and spiritually! :geek:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
runix3 said:
Speaking of inexperience(moi), this might be a silly question, but will the 4WD system suffer any ill effects if NOT used? I've had my X for almost two years, but sadly I haven't had the time to take it into the dirt off roading. The closest I've gotten to off roading was the dirt road on the way to the base of the Amboy craters lol. But I'm making it a point this year to start. So, for the experienced guys here, is it bad yay or nay?
Nope, but remember... even though you arent in four wheel drive your transfer case still has moving parts, so you will need to change the fluids in it at the scheduled times.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
And in really fine sand at times, sometimes 4Lo doesn't have enough wheel speed. I wish we could get 2Lo though...that'd be nice.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
that's why you lock the rear. wait... we can't

·
on line
15,651 Posts
AZ-Ted said:
You forgot to mention that 4Lo allows you to DRIVE down a hill instead of COAST down a hill. When coasting, the only way to slow down is to put the brakes on. Using the brakes too much will cause brake fade (brakes will be less efficient). Also, it will cause a lot of unnecessary brake wear.
Actually, if the hill is steep enough, brakes are not a good idea, and it has nothing to do with break fade, it has to do with keeping the vehicle pointed straight. Using breaks on steep hills when wheeling will cause the back end to get light because of weight transfer and can cause the rear end to come around on you. It's not good to be sideways on a hill.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
it's threads like these that make me happy to be a member. i don't get out nearly as much as i'd like to but i am always up for learning

carry on men! :cheers:

·
on line
145 Posts
Muzikman said:
AZ-Ted said:
Actually, if the hill is steep enough, brakes are not a good idea, and it has nothing to do with break fade, it has to do with keeping the vehicle pointed straight. Using breaks on steep hills when wheeling will cause the back end to get light because of weight transfer and can cause the rear end to come around on you. It's not good to be sideways on a hill.
The old school way of going down a steep hill was the lowest or second lowest gear and feet off the pedals. Wheel lockup is also undesireable. Of course nowadays we have autos and ABS which changes things. This is one of the main reasons I would have prefered to have a stick shift.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I always use 4LO and 1st gear (even in the auto) when going down a hill.

Same when climbing hills. I will use 1st or 2nd to prevent the tranny from upshifting when I get a little wheel slip when climbing hills.

What gear to us and when comes with experience, the thing to keep in mind is that even though you might have an automatic, you can still select certain gears.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: There's another + to use when you're rock climbing with a Stick shift--

--Whan going on the DOWN side of good size rocks (or gullys), rather than using clutch and brakes-use your hand brake very selectively to hold the X back and this will keep the front wheels free for quick steering corrections, don't use the clutch AT ALL--

--Don't cap on this idea because it will increase Emergency brake wear, whats more important ????

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
735 Posts
There is one situation where I like to use 4-HI in what is normally a 4-LO environment.

If you find yourself getting sucked into a sand bowl or some loose, wind blown sand in the dunes, you should stop at the highest point you can make it to. Then, use your position to turn potential energy into kinetic motion as much as you can on the way back out. Unfortunately, you only have one reverse gear and that is usually lower than 1st gear fwd , so it will be real slow. I have often switched back into 4 hi so I could achieve 15-20 mph in reverse (going downhill usually) so I had enough oomph to crest the beginning of the depression I had gotten into.

Reading sand is pretty much a separate off-roading art form in itself..different set of rules. This tip has saved me a few times..just never stop in the bottom most spot in the dunes and if you find hard pack, stop there and scout the next 40 yards by foot. The heavier the truck, the more you need to manually pick the route by foot-braille.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts