Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey X friends. I am working with some guys on clubfrontier.org to get Unorthodoxed racing to make a lightend crank pulley for the VQ40DE motor. I'm just seeing if there is any intrest in it from the new xterra owners.

·
on line
44 Posts
Irongrave said:
Hey X friends. I am working with some guys on clubfrontier.org to get Unorthodoxed racing to make a lightend crank pulley for the VQ40DE motor. I'm just seeing if there is any intrest in it from the new xterra owners.
I've been following this over there and am very interested. keep me posted. I had an UR lightened pulley in my prelude and loved it.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
I had a UR crank pulley on my old Sentra SPEC V and it made a big difference so im in!

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be ording a stock crank pulley tommorrow they need a stock on to go off to make the new one than test fit onto my truck make sure no clerance issues or to see if they can use the 350z/G35 pulley. I'll keep you all infromed with the progress

·
on line
355 Posts
xterra3100 said:
I had a UR crank pulley on my old Sentra SPEC V and it made a big difference so im in!
i had one on my spec-V too..

·
on line
589 Posts
From what I understand the basis of lightening pulleys is a pound of weight removed from the engines rotation assembly is approximately 2.5HP or so. Now if they went crazy and dropped the weight from the stock one to this one by 5 pounds then you are talking about 12.5HP, and that is NOT at the wheels.

I am just a fan of any extra HP I can get, especially with a soon to be fully Shrocked out X...I don't want to even imagine the weight increase that has done to it.

·
on line
240 Posts
Pullies are crap and a waste of money. 2-3 hp isn't anything. It takes at least 10hp at the rear wheels to feel a difference on the street. Save your money for something else.

I've seen lightened and underdrive pullies tested on a dyno and the results were hardly woth the money spent on them.

·
on line
355 Posts
JasonK06X said:
Pullies are crap and a waste of money. 2-3 hp isn't anything. It takes at least 10hp at the rear wheels to feel a difference on the street. Save your money for something else.

I've seen lightened and underdrive pullies tested on a dyno and the results were hardly woth the money spent on them.
Thats what I was trying to say in a less abrasive way. :notworthy:

·
on line
589 Posts
Not completely true, it's just dependent on the weight of them on there and the weight of the after-market ones that replaced them are. They won't break 10hp at the wheels, but they could get close to that depending on the weight improvement.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
burnout said:
JasonK06X said:

LOL

·
on line
735 Posts
a crank pulley weighs nothing. the harmonic balancer is what is heavy and I wouldn't change that lest your crank vibes might cause it an early death. lightweight flywheels also make engines rev faster, but don't make more power, really.

perhaps this pulley is a different diameter that slows down the alternator and water pump a few percent to gain 2 or 3 hp at the back of the motor.

·
on line
240 Posts
burnout said:
JasonK06X said:

Just thought I'd get to the point. I've been in the horsepower game for a number of years now, and hate to see people waste money on gimmicks and hype. I've seen what works and what doesn't. A crank pulley is hardly anything worth changing out. But this is the internet, and there is a sucker born every minute.
THERE IS NOT A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF WEIGHT IN THAT PULLEY THAT COULD BE REMOVED TO MAKE A NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE, IF ANY AT ALL!!

·
on line
355 Posts
JasonK06X said:
burnout said:
JasonK06X said:

Just thought I'd get to the point. I've been in the horsepower game for a number of years now, and hate to see people waste money on gimmicks and hype. I've seen what works and what doesn't. A crank pulley is hardly anything worth changing out. But this is the internet, and there is a sucker born every minute.
THERE IS NOT A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF WEIGHT IN THAT PULLEY THAT COULD BE REMOVED TO MAKE A NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE, IF ANY AT ALL!!
Ive been modding my cars since 1988 or so also. But finally with this Xterra I slowed down. Even though I dont think a pulley is worth it, compare it to an intake or something. Both around $200-$250.. both give maybe 2-4whp at best.. so not much difference. but at least you get sound with an intake.

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i understand that there are many that dont want that and I dont fault you but while I'm also repalcing my fan with eletric fans might as well do the pulley as well, I've had them on other cars and have done the homework on them though the Z forums. There are gains there and even more when you convert to e-fans.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts