Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken a few trips to Lower Coyote Canyon, but until this last weekend, had never been on Upper Coyote Canyon.

All the guide books I could find described it to be far more technical and hazardous than Lower Coyote Canyon. There was an article in Backpacker Magazine, revealing a hike within Upper Coyote Canyon. I decided to pack up and see it for myself.

The trail into Lower Coyote goes from the desert floor, up into a canyon. Upper Coyote, however, went from the high desert, down into a canyon. I could see already that things would be more difficult.

I won't spoil the trail down into Upper Coyote Canyon for anyone else who wants to try it. Let's just say, the guide books were a little out-dated.

The basin you drop into was very scenic, with most of the trail traveling through natural washes. Just like Lower Coyote Canyon, Upper Coyote Canyon offered a good amount of trail diversity.

The hike was far from what Backpacker Magazine described it to be, but nevertheless enjoyable. We found a great camping area in one of the sections of the wash. Camping in desert washes is not advisable, but we were at rather high altitude and there was no risk of flash flood.

Notice the sign tells of a locked gate. There is only the remains of a gate that someone took a bulldozer to.

Indian grinding rock, fallen from it's ancient home, due to erosion.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
DUDE, you wheel to much!! Im jealous!! Great pics man. Another reason for me to make a trip down there. What kind of dog is that? That dog looks bad ass.

·
on line
564 Posts
Awesome pics dude!

Rob

·
on line
463 Posts
You are Definitely not working enough to have all of this free time to wheel whenever the urge gets you ?
Yep ! We are all jealous !
Great pics and it looked like alot of fun!

Jim B

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha, thanks for the comments guys.

Yeah, I try to get out there as often as possible. I hate wasted weekends.

My dog is either Husky/German Shepard, or Shiba Inu/German Shepard. The shelter didn't know and neither does our vet. Either way, she loves the desert and 4-wheeling. She was raised on it.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
My guess would be Husky/G.Shepard... My original thought was (before i you said what kind) that it was Husky and something else.

Im jealous too..... :cwm10:

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the pooch shoes from REI. That dog was raised off desert trips and cactus. When she was only 4 months old we took her on a different hike through Anza, and to say the least, she found every cactus in the desert within an hour. I had to set her in the top section of my pack for the rest of the trip. She loved it.

So now she knows not to go plowing through cactus, but since she's got no control over stepping on fallen needles, I had to get the booties. She prances for a few minutes when you put them on, until she gets used to them.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, drove the whole thing.
I didn't want to spoil it but they graded the toughest section. It was cake compared to Lower Coyote Canyon. I could have done it in my Civic with a few beers and crossed fingers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts