Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I'm new to the site, and I tried to search threads, but I didn't see any posts that address my question, even though they're probably there.
Has anyone ever swapped out an aftermarket set of camshafts into the VQ40? I have a buddy that is dropping a new engine into his 03 350z, and we were pondering if I could scavenge the cams for use in my X. If read that guys on the Frontier forums have installed Brian Crower stage 2 cams, but the best price I've found is around the $1100 mark. I'd like to know if there is a more economical means of upgrading the performance. I welcome any experience, or advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
431 Posts
I use crower cams and hirev kit too. Yes 3.5 cams are the same since the heads a bisically the same regarding cam selection. Keep in mind that the power ranges rpm rated for a 3.5 will be alittle less dramatic since we have a.5litre more displacement. I think a sc is a better bang for the buck and definitly easier to install. (a stillen kit not my ken bell)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've looked into this too -

IMHO the stock cams on the VQ40 are well designed for the X. While you'll gain peak hp with other cams, the X really needs low and mid rpm torque. I would expect with aftermarket cams, the peak would be moved up the rpm band, which isn't necessarily a good thing. And at $1100 + install costs, the bang for the buck is pretty low.

Having driven the 350z/370z cars and experiencing their high rpm based powerband and lack of low rpm torque, even if the cams were an easy swap, I don't know if it would be a good idea.

·
Registered
431 Posts
^^^hmm i dont seem to have a issue with power across the board idle to 7000. :)
but i will say this. The before and after dynos with a couple mods at the same time as cams was only 22rwhp so the gains are not spectacular..see my post above again:)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
^^^hmm i dont seem to have a issue with power across the board idle to 7000. :)
but i will say this. The before and after dynos with a couple mods at the same time as cams was only 22rwhp so the gains are not spectacular..see my post above again:)
You've definitely done a lot more work to your engine than a lot of people here. :)

How much was the Stillen SC kit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use crower cams and hirev kit too. Yes 3.5 cams are the same since the heads a bisically the same regarding cam selection. Keep in mind that the power ranges rpm rated for a 3.5 will be alittle less dramatic since we have a.5litre more displacement. I think a sc is a better bang for the buck and definitly easier to install. (a stillen kit not my ken bell)
With the Crower cams, did you reuse stock valve springs or retainers? And were the power gains using any other parts?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
431 Posts
With the Crower cams, did you reuse stock valve springs or retainers? And were the power gains using any other parts?
Posted via Mobile Device
I used the rev kit from Crower which is also better springs and titanium retainers for less valve train weight=faster rpm gain.
and since it hard to do the work and I was already building the engine I decided to do cams at the same time. So dont have a before n after for just cams. oh and youll also need Uprev or the abilty to turn off the p0300 random misfire code youll get from the slightly rougher idle and lower vacuum:)
You said you want to play right :)

You've definitely done a lot more work to your engine than a lot of people here. :)

How much was the Stillen SC kit?
I paid $1500 back in 09 for a used kit then went to Uprev to do custom tuning. But have since moved to a mo betta Ken Bell twin screw from a C6 vette used off Ebay for $3000 and then modded to fit and well theres alot more involved but you get the idea

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Oh how I long for the days when you could take a big American V-8 and stuff a big cam into it and hear it at idle talking to you... potato potato potato... Then again. EFI, VVT, and 40 years of engine development is hard to beat... I do miss that idle though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh how I long for the days when you could take a big American V-8 and stuff a big cam into it and hear it at idle talking to you... potato potato potato... Then again. EFI, VVT, and 40 years of engine development is hard to beat... I do miss that idle though.
It's true you can't beat the modern tech, and the drive-ability. The sound of a v8 with true duals, headers, and an aggressive cam are something that moves a mans soul. But , a v6(no matter how much you spend) is never going to sound like a small block v8. I wouldn't want my X to sound like one. A powerful v6 has a sound all it's own, and I think in the case of the modern engines, a well tuned and modified 6 lets the world know that you know that there is more to automotive performance than adding two cylinders.

That being said, I believe there is a good bit of power to be found in the 4.0. A DOHC engine will never lobe like a pushrod engine, and I don't think we expect it to. I'm going to look into this topic further: both the 3.5 cams, and the aftermarket. I think the BC stage 2 is the gold standard option & is well documented; not everyone has the budget for those parts. Ive literally got a free set of the stock VQ35 cams at my disposal, I just wonder if it's worth the effort...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
504 Posts
You could always send your stock cams to "Franklin Cam Services" in New Zealand!

I sent a set down there, and he will re-profile your cams to what ever spec you want. Mind you he will ask what Mods are done, and what you are trying to attain.....

IT was super fast shipping and AMAZING turn around time!!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Franklin cams are nice but big $$$ I priced a set for a sr20ve and that was two cams ! . Think Someone on here was talking about getting JWT to make a set specifically for the 4.0.

·
Veteran
646 Posts
Franklin cams are nice but big $$$ I priced a set for a sr20ve and that was two cams ! . Think Someone on here was talking about getting JWT to make a set specifically for the 4.0.

any more word on that? Maybe I will give JWT a call as well. Perhaps they will have a rev kit and retainers as well?

·
Veteran
646 Posts
JWT does make specific cams for the 4.0, I don't know if nismo snatched them all up for their off road trucks but I remember Jim doing development for them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure would be nice if they did...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts