Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those wishing a simple sleeping solution, take a look at what I found on Amazon today.

Basically, this is an two part inflatable mattress with an included inflatable support.
This system was designed to be used as a backseat sleep system for a car, but you could just as easily use it in our Xterra.

The inflatable support would take the place of using the "Action Packers" which were all familiar with.
In addition, you gain an inflatable mattress which can be laid down lengthwise for additional sleeping comfort.

Lastly, this system will take up minimal space when camping as it can be deflated when not in use.

Ok, there are several designs which can be found on Amazon that may be an even better design than this one.
For those willing to search, let us know if you come across something better.

Link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EKT08U8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=def-31885-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01EKT08U8&linkId=a5398b3fdf6de5a2fcb792ef26df6d9c

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What?

Aren't we all 4'8" or less.

:)

The support was what caught my eye.
Your right, the mattress is best left to children.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
that would be great if you HAD to sleep in a CAR. but the x has such better sleeping options i would only be inclined to use that if for some reason you COULD NOT fold down the seats.

i much prefer sleeping in the X with the seats folded. its almost a perfect bed.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
that would be great if you HAD to sleep in a CAR. but the x has such better sleeping options i would only be inclined to use that if for some reason you COULD NOT fold down the seats.

i much prefer sleeping in the X with the seats folded. its almost a perfect bed.
I suspect you missed an important point regarding my origional post.
When the rear seats are dropped most people will still desire an extra foot of room(unless your a rather short man).

For this reason, Xterra owners will drop their rear seat's and place two action packers in front of the rear seats as an extended platform.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=1226&pictureid=39314

Yes, the product which I shared was designed to support a mattress in the back seat of a car, but it could also take the place of the Action Packers which are currenly being used in our Xterras. Throw away the small air mattress which is included if you so wish, the mattress support is what of need.

The action packers can serve the purpose of adding extra storage and may yet be the best option available.
However, action packers are getting harder to find, and those which have different needs may find this item to provide another option to extend their sleeping platform.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where are you getting that extra space? When I fold my seats down there is no space there. the seat bottoms fold up and that serves as the backrest (headboard) of my bed. I could use an extra couple inches though as I sleep diagonal in the back to really stretch out.

stockhardcorexterra

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also good luck on the truck bedz. they have been out of stock for 3 years or more. I bought a vinyl one as a test which worked beautifully till the vinyl leaked. (expected) and now want to upgrade to the expedition version. I've been on there list for years. They are basically out of production. If you see some in stock let me know

stockhardcorexterra

·
Registered
65 Posts
Where are you getting that extra space? When I fold my seats down there is no space there. the seat bottoms fold up and that serves as the backrest (headboard) of my bed. I could use an extra couple inches though as I sleep diagonal in the back to really stretch out.

stockhardcorexterra
I'm pretty sure most people just completely take the back seats out using the red levers.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stockhardcore xterra;4251 336 said:

stockhardcorexterra
Step 1. Remove your headrest.
Step 2. Remove the bottom of your seat( self explanatory once you see the latches)
Step 3 . Place a support which matches the height of your seat once it's folded down.

The action packers are an excellent fit except for the area directly behind the rear drink holders.
If the rear support from the link I posted is a good match in height, it would give a true door to door support .

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=1226&pictureid=39314://

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Step 1. Remove your headrest.
Step 2. Remove the bottom of your seat( self explanatory once you see the latches)
Step 3 . Place a support which matches the height of your seat once it's folded down.

The action packers are an excellent fit except for the area directly behind the rear drink holders.
If the rear support from the link I posted is a good match in height, it would give a true door to door support .

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=1226&pictureid=39314://
It should be mentioned that the 8 gl action packers are crazy expensive, IMO, for what they are.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It should be mentioned that the 8 gl action packers are crazy expensive, IMO, for what they are.

I agree 100%

I purchased an 8gal action packer a few years back when it was much less expensive.
Today, you will pay $28-$30 a piece plus the potential of shipping cost.

I've often wondered if anyone else makes a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
General info

ActionPacker Storage Box - 8 gal : (#1170)
Size: 19.9"L x 14.1"W x 12.1"H

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I agree 100%

I purchased an 8gal action packer a few years back when it was much less expensive.
Today, you will pay $28-$30 a piece plus the potential of shipping cost.

I've often wondered if anyone else makes a suitable replacement.

I found some plastic tubs at walmart that fit the same as the action packers. they are no where near as stout / strong, but they do the job about the same as far as filling in the space in the floorwell to make a falt surface. i stuff sleeping stuff like blankets and pillows in them so they dont need to be super strong.

they were less than $10 a piece. clear plastic with white lids that latch down.

kinda like this but im not sure if this one is the right size.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hefty-PROTECT-Heavy-Duty-Storage-20-Qt-Lid-with-Protective-Seal-Clear/103776449

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found about a year ago a cooler at walmart that is the same size as an action packer and now use that behind the drivers side. On the passenger side I use sweater boxes that I stack for non-periahables. Works great. Now I just need to work out a mattress as my wife is complaining.

Edit: I found it. Its is the Igloo Marine Contour with dimensions of 10.75 x 13.00 x 20.50 Inches. Works Very well.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Marine-25QT-Contour-49644-White-Cooler/55652058

1 - 20 of 28 Posts