Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yeah, started yesterday (or day before, but noticed it significantly yesterday)

i've isolated the sound the the front passenger side, when i go over a bump of almost any type the is a knocking sound as the X bounces.

i've checked the torque on all bolts from the radflo install (done 2 months ago so i know it's not from that), and banged on everything to see if something is moving, and i can't find anything.

only recent maintenance was an oil change (done by me) and a tire rotation (done by NTB)

i'm starting to think UCA contact...but with my radfos?? and just on the passenger side?? i can't see any signs of hitting, but i think i'm gonna pick up some rubber tubing and pad it anyways to see if it's really from that. is there a distance b/t the control arm and upper coil bucket that i can measure to see if it is likely to be hitting??

anyone else experience this?? ideas what might be happening??

·
on line
238 Posts
Willgr1,

What Radflo's do you have? If you have the early Radflo's that don't require the UCA's to be replaced you may be having coil bucket contact. Easy to check though. Look in your wheel well at the top of the coil bucket and if they are hitting you will see a curved mark with some probable paint missing. My first run of the no UCA Radflo's hit. Greg took care of me though and no more contact. And yes, my passenger side hit worse than my driver's side (manufacturing tolerances allow that to happen).

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
checked the sway bar, nothing wrong there

turtle-

i do have the radflos that do not required UCA replacement, greg built them at the end of May this year and i put them on mid June (not sure if that qualifies as "early radflos". no paint missing i looked closely, but if it's been doing it for two days, i drive like 10 miles a day, so it prob. wouldn't show wear yet. i'm gonna try a few things determine if that's the real cause, and if it is i'll make a call to greg next week.

also, how did he help you fix the issue?

·
on line
238 Posts
He replaced my originals with a slightly shorter stroke coilover. Mine were from January I think though. They were the very first batch I think. May seems borderline for when Greg started to produce the shorter ones, so I'd check with him if you are getting any contact or even close.

You can check for contact by jacking up the front. You could use a hi-lift. Or a floor jack under any part of the frame that would get your wheel to extend all the way.

p.s. Did you check your swaybar bolts for torque? Muzikman had a problem with his. They seemed tight, but needed to be replaced and torqued appropriately. I torqued mine a couple different times and they are holding well.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update with pics

so i lifted the truck and re-checked all bolts including the sway bar, nothing is out or torque

i also checked for contact with the UCA and coil bucket...it was not contacting under full droop, but there was a very minimal distance between the two and there was a significant difference between the driver and passenger side....here's the pics to explain

top down view to check for visual signs of contact......nothing found

placed a rag between the two points, it was a tight fit even for the rag folded over once, i forgot to measure, but i would say maybe 5mm between the two point

and the driver side, obviously a big difference, i could place part of my finger between the two points (around 8mm of distance (could be 1cm, but again, i forgot to measure)

so...what do you guys think....contact possible??

i'm gonna call greg monday and see what he thinks, i would hate to have to replace the coilover, but....i need to put camber bolts in and have the X realigned anyways, so it might not be too bad if i have too.....but we'll see.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
just adjust your radflo's on one side or the other and get the gaps equal. your truck (everyones truck in fact) is not 100% symetrical even though it looks that way to the naked eye. Do some adjusting, double check it, then do more adjusting. I suggest taking the lift down a little bit. If that doesnt solve the illusive knocking, then I dont know what will.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i thought about adjusting that passenger side and i know that would increase the gap between the UCA and coil bucket, but.....wouldn't that also allow for more travel and still cause the two points to hit when hitting a big enough bump or dip?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well I donno, now you got me a little confused.... Plus i have a major hangover from drinking too much last night, so I might not be the best person to answer this question right now. :drunken:

·
on line
238 Posts
Adjusting your ride height will do nothing to change full extention position. You will still come to the same resting position. I believe the control arms are mounted using rubber bushings? They could flex and you could still hit if really close as in your static test. Did you find any marks on the bucket at all? Even a small tick in the paint that matchs the shap of the control arm? I doesn't take much contact to sound like you really hit something.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
turtle - does your first two sentences confirm mine or sexterra's thoughts on changing the distance between the two points? not sure what you're saying exactly. i understand if i lower the height i will increase the gap distance when the vehicle is sitting on the ground.

anyways, no marks to be found, i'm gonna pick up some rubber tubing and wrap the UCA with it to see if it IS in fact contacting where i think it is. i understand it doesn't take much to hit (just look at the difference in shock lengths to get 2" of total lift!) well, more info tomorrow i guess

again, thanks for the help guys!

·
on line
238 Posts
Well Willgr1,

You are both correct in a way, but you more so. Yes will still hit the same even if you lower the lift. But, you may not hit as easily with less lift because you have more down stroke to drop into a hole. Hopefully that clears a little bit more.

Here is my UCA bucket clearance with the replacement Radflo's on the worst side (passenger).

·
on line
1,667 Posts
i have the same problem with the coil spacers from top gunz. i possibly have 3/8" more clearance on the passenger side than the drivers side. i bought another set of upper control arms cause i busted though the rubber grommet for the ball joints and also to compare the two for height differences. needless to say, there was none.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update #2:

just got off the phone with greg, he had me loosen the lower shock bolt to try to slide the shock down, didn't help, so a new coilover is on the way!

i can't say enough about greg's customer service! he really stands behind his products!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
willgr1 said:
update #2:

just got off the phone with greg, he had me loosen the lower shock bolt to try to slide the shock down, didn't help, so a new coilover is on the way!

i can't say enough about greg's customer service! he really stands behind his products!
Holy crapoly!!! Greg rocks!! Well not totally, i have had one little hickup with him so far.... but nothing to complain to you guys about! (mcampana knows though)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts