Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[NOTE: I'm not sure if this belongs here or in Off Topic, so I put it here. Moderators can advise me and move it if needed.]

I’m looking for some ideas for routes and places of interest for an upcoming road trip. We’ll be taking the Xterra but I expect we’ll stick to pavement most of the time, since we will be travelling alone, and don’t have that much time. We also plan to stay in motels rather than camp, and want to avoid Interstate highways when possible. For us the journey is the adventure, we like to stop and look around, hike, photograph, etc. along the way.

Leaving from San Diego around Sunday 27 May, our first set destination is Missoula, Montana the afternoon of Thursday 31 May. We do want to go through Salmon, Idaho, but won’t need a lot of time there. We plan to depart Helena, Montana the morning of Monday 4 June, and want to be in Phoenix, Arizona the evening of Thursday 7 June.

We are looking for ideas for the portions of the trip from San Diego to Missoula, then from Helena to Phoenix.

Some of the ideas I have so far:

Hwy 395 north from southern California into northern Nevada. Mono Lake and the ghost town of Bodie are on that route.

Hwy 93 up from northern Nevada into Idaho and over to Montana. Alternately, skip Hwy 395 and go north through central Nevada on Hwy 93, maybe even detour through the ET Highway.

Hwy 89 from southern Utah, around the east side of the Grand Canyon and down towards Flagstaff. It looks like a good portion of that route runs through the Navajo Reservation, not sure what services, if any, are available.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
On your final leg headed down into AZ, I'd like to suggest you check these out (time permitting)-
HOVENWEEP RUINS
MEXICAN HAT (Check the links on that page, there's a lot to see in that area, including Goosenecks NP..)
VALLEY OF THE GODS A smaller, less crowded version of Monument Valley. Great loop trail, takes maybe 1.5 hours to get around..
MOKI DUGWAY
Then when you get in to AZ (all the above are just above the AZ state line in UT), stay HERE.
Of course, when you are in FLAG, stop into the BEAVER STREET BREWERY. The food's great, and hey, the beer's damned good too :thumbleft:
Still up for some adventure? Head into Sedona and out onto the BROKEN ARROW TRAIL. Hell, I might just meet ya' there, it's one of my favorite trails in the state..
Good luck and Happy Trails. :salute:

ETA- If you (or anyone) has Q's about that area, PM me, I'll try to answer your questions.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
For the old west feeling kind of trip I would suggest:

395 N to Carson City
50 E to Eureka
278 N to Carlin
80 E to Well
93 N to Idaho

OR:

395 N to Bishop
6 N into Nevada follow through to Ely
93 N into Idaho

If you decide to make it into Reno, let me know I would like to meet some of the people from the forum.

·
on line
975 Posts
We are taking almost the same trip in June, except stopping in Northeastern Oregon. So far we have planned though California with a night at Bass Lake (filming location of Great Outdoors), 2 nights in Placerville on Hwy 49 through Gold Country and a night(maybe 2) in Lassen Volcanic National Park. Then into Oregon via the 395. The only difference is, that we are camping the whole way. Not quite sure how we are coming back down, Hwy 1 is always a great option.
:)

·
on line
641 Posts
FrankB said:
I’m looking for some ideas for routes and places of interest for an upcoming road trip.
You could always visit a few Degree Confluences along the way ;-)
http://www.confluence.org/

Even if all the confluences near where you are going have already been visited, we encourage re-visits. And, it's not likely that you have been to the spot before. Sometimes a confluence visit can be a good reason to 'get off the beaten path'. Also, you can often use the narratives and photos for existing visits as a sort of 'travel planner', to find out something about the area near the confluence.

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions. If anyone else has any, please post. I've got a few more weeks to figure this out.

I just heard about a giant polar bear (stufed, of course) in Elko, Nevada. That might make for an amusing (for a few minute, anyway) stop along the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts