Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my TOYO Open Country AT3's in the 285/75r16 size for my X. Its my understanding that they're supposed to be 32.8" in height and 11.2" in width, however they just came in today and I decided to measure them and they're coming in at 31.9" height and 9.5 width. I know they aren't aired up yet and this could account for the lack of size but a friend of mine who works @ Burt Brothers says the size won't increase much or at least enough to make up the difference. Am I missing something here? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I was just really hoping for the exact dimensions once mounted and aired up and I feel it will fall short of my expectations. I can't help but feel a little disappointed. Any insight on the matter is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I visited Toyo's website and noticed a bit of relevant information.

Toyo clearly notes the size of their tires as "Inflated Overall Diameter" and " Inflated Overall Width."

Dont worry about your tire size until you get them mounted.

I believe you will find the tires will match toyos claims very closely.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Everything will be fine once the tires are mounted, however you should note that measured tire diameter will never match the published specifications after the tires are mounted, inflated and put on the ground with vehicle weight on them.

How could it when a tire remains flexible when inflated, the degree of inflation will impact the result, and there is one loaded radius and one unloaded radius when inflated and on the ground?

It is a phenomenon that perplexes people new to offroading that becomes the basis for many nonsensical assertions on Internet forums that because a tire doesn't measure 33" in diameter on the ground that it "runs small" and a tire company is ripping people off by describing it as a 33.

BTW, advertised tire diameters are the measured diameter when mounted on the wheel width specified, inflated to the maximum pressure on the sidewall, off the ground with no load.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
advertised tire diameters are the measured diameter when mounted on the wheel width specified, inflated to the maximum pressure on the sidewall, off the ground with no load.
Absolutely correct ^^^^^

Mount them on your rim and take us a picture.

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
excellent points on the measurements, they would need to be mounted on the wheel and inflated, but not with the vehicles weight on them. see if the tire shop will let you sneak in the service bay after they get them mounted, but while its still in the air to get a measurement.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
I wouldn't bother unless your wheels are the same width as in the tire specs. - the measurement will be different than the published dimension and your brain will just screw around with differences that don't matter in the real world.

Toyo tires have a reputation of running fairly true to industry standard size when mounted. Just figure out the appropriate tire pressure for the weight of your particular rig and go enjoy them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm starting to feel better about it after seeing this and talking to people @ work about it. I just never thought about it before and wondered if the tires actually stretch and gain a little size. As for the width issue. I measured from where the tread starts on the outside to the inside which won't really change. But today boss man told me the width accounts for the distance from the outter side wall to the inner sidewall once inflated - basically the side bulge. So that's makes sense. I'll be sure to revisit with photos of the tires, spacers and lift once its all complete in a few days. Appreciate the response and for not making me feel too much like a dumbass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts