Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - I did a search and couldnt find anything related so here it goes...

On my X, when I push the unlock button it only unlocks the drivers door, I have to push it a second time to unlock the rest of the doors. For me this is a real PITA.

In a perfect world I'd like only the two front doors to unlock with one push of the button - realizing that is a pipe dream, is there a way that pushing the unlock button once would unlock all the doors?

Thanks,
Fred

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I don't know. You'd probably have to do some reprogramming of the key fob. I even have to do the same thing on my keyless entry. I have to put in my code then hit the 3/4 button to unlock them all which is easy. To lock everything up and activate the alarm I have to put in my code then hit the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons together.

·
on line
54 Posts
There is probably some aftermarket keyless entry system that would do this. What I would do would be to build a circuit that would monitor the Factory Alarm Disarm wire. When that wire gets pulled low, pulse the power unlock line. Building is more fun any way right?

I would probably use a microcontroller to do the job. If you have the programming equipment you could do it for about $20 in parts from digikey.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Syndicate said:
Newf,

I'm willing to bet it's been designed that way as a safety feature.
The idea is if the bad guy is hiding next to your passenger door he can't hop in and whack you when you unlock all the doors...

Now for my normal smart ass comment: How hard is it to push the button twice? Maybe you should hit the gym :geek:

·
on line
210 Posts
It's a pity but the Remote Unlock function can't be changed...

You have to hit the unlock twice in 5 second to unlock all doors. Unless you have a third party remote that send twice the signal at the the push of a button. This is the way my remote starter device was programmed :cheers:

You should also note that if you don't open a door within 1 minute of unlocking the door with the remote, all doors will automatically lock...

(Pages BL-44 & BL-45 of the service manual)

See Ya

·
on line
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ya - for sure its a saftey feature...

But here in lil-old Newfoundland its not much to worry about. I agree its not a huge deal but hey - its all about personal preference and what you're use to.

Ah well - off to the gym it is :naka:

Fred

·
on line
42 Posts
Newf said:

On my X, when I push the unlock button it only unlocks the drivers door, I have to push it a second time to unlock the rest of the doors. For me this is a real PITA.

Thanks,
Fred
Yeah... all that effort required to push the button a second time is very exhaustive.

<oh come on... relax. I'm kidding!!!... and agree that Nissan should have set up a situation in which user selectable doors could be unlocked with one press>

·
on line
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya - I admit its a bit of a lame request - meh.. :)

Dont worry - I give and take it all day at work so its all good :bootyshake:

Speaking of which is there a thread where every talks about what they do? I'm curious - you see people chatting and you get the impression of how old they are etc... or is a taboo to talk about :confused3:

·
on line
2,081 Posts
I actually kinda like the way it only unlocks the drivers door. I've been in a situation a few times in a dark car park where people have been stood near the passenger side of my X and I was concerned about unlocking all of the doors, so one press does the trick in those situations.

·
on line
20 Posts
I'm jealous of the wifes 06 Altima, with it you can hold the unlock button on the fob down for 5 seconds or so and it rolls all the windows down half way to let the summer heat escape before you get in the car!

·
on line
132 Posts
Yeah it's definitely a safety feature so sketchy heads can't jump in with you.

Here's the real question though: Has anyone figured out how to arm the car without it making the "HONK! I'm locking up now, don't try anything on me now" noise that accompanies it? AKA a silent wireless lock.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Mine does not honk when I lock it. Just flashes the parking and tail lights. Not sure how it got that way.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
kokopop said:
Mine does not honk when I lock it. Just flashes the parking and tail lights. Not sure how it got that way.
You got it set on the silent function. Next time that you lock it hold down both the lock and unlock buttons until it honks and flashes at ya.

·
on line
641 Posts

·
on line
132 Posts
dpatton said:
MidnightX said:
Here's the real question though: Has anyone figured out how to arm the car without it making the "HONK! I'm locking up now, don't try anything on me now" noise that accompanies it? AKA a silent wireless lock.
Read pages 3-5 through 3-7 of the owners manual(pages 125 - 128 in the PDF):
http://nissan.ca/files/owners/manualsbrochures/2006_xterra_manual_en.pdf
(for a Canadian 2006 Xterra)
That would take too long. :geek: Being the genius that I am, today I discovered that if you close the doors and hold down "unlock" and then "lock" your car will go into silent mode. Repeat to put it back into squawker mode.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
MidnightX said:
dpatton said:
MidnightX said:
Read pages 3-5 through 3-7 of the owners manual(pages 125 - 128 in the PDF):
http://nissan.ca/files/owners/manualsbrochures/2006_xterra_manual_en.pdf
(for a Canadian 2006 Xterra)
That would take too long. :geek: Being the genius that I am, today I discovered that if you close the doors and hold down "unlock" and then "lock" your car will go into silent mode. Repeat to put it back into squawker mode.
man tell me about it! I had to read the manual to find that out. Still I love the Silent mode

·
on line
132 Posts
Yeah, it's a trip getting used to it. Psychologically I was conforming to that feeling of safety hearing her squawk. But the shadowy side of me wanted her to be quiet in certain areas of the city.

·
on line
58 Posts
Newf said:

In a perfect world I'd like only the two front doors to unlock with one push of the button - realizing that is a pipe dream, is there a way that pushing the unlock button once would unlock all the doors?

Thanks,
Fred
Here is the answer. To get the doors to unlock on one push you need to send two pulses to the factory alarm disarm wire. I'm sure someone could make a circuit board that could send an extra pulse. The drivers door would unlock first I think but the other ones would follow right after. Also you can tap into the unlock wire and it will unlock the door in one pulse but...with an aftermarket system like mine the door locks fall asleep after a while and it won't open on the first push. When I install remote starts and keyless systems in the X's I just send a double pulse unlock to the the disarm wire.

-Cowboy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts