Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I get torched, I know the Timbren & Sumo rear bump stops are the big kings and big $dollars$ for our Xterras. I was just wondering if anyone has tried a less expensive option like Daystar (KU09016BK), Universal polyurethane bump stop 4-1/2" tall; 4-1/2" long; 2-1/2" wide with slotted mounting plate. If so how do the feel compared to the factory bump stops? How long should I expect them last?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003EOXAS8

or these
Daystar, Jeep XJ Cherokee rear extended 3.9" tall polyurethane bump stop 2 per set, fits 1984 to 2001 2/4WD, KJ09122BK, Made in America, Black
https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-Cherokee-extended-polyurethane-KJ09122BK/dp/B001GH1OH4

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
713 Posts
I’ve been hunting too. Hopefully someone has good feedback for other options.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Interesting.

For reference: stock bumpstops are 3" high (from frame), Timbrens are 5", and the middle of the rubber/foam part is about 3 1/2" (i.e. squished to half height would be around there). Maybe someone can chime in with measurements for Wheeler's Superbumps uncompressed and compressed.

I know that the front Superbumps are 2.5" tall, compared to <1.5" for stock LCA bumps, and 2" for the Energy Suspension urethane replacements you get with PRG's 2" spacer lift and a few others.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Not sure if I need them, but what the heck, might as well subscribe and find out if they are a less costly way to replacement bump stops.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Those look like decent options. The Timbren and Sumo are not exactly bump stops but more like rubber add-a-leaves. They are designed to work under load like an extra spring to increase capacity slightly with the added benefit of slowing down the suspension travel before stopping it to smooth out the ride.

These would probably provide some help but are more likely to hit a little more solidly when they stop the rear suspension travel since they have less "spring rate" to help slow down the suspension before it stops traveling.

I can't imagine they'd be anything but an improvement over the OE stops though so I say go for it!

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
713 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Interesting. Maybe someone can chime in with measurements for Wheeler's Superbumps uncompressed and compressed.
I have notes on this somewhere at home, but for now there is some info and photos on rear Superbumps compared to our stock bumpstops in my build thread. I'm still not sure it was worth the extra work and effort to get them mounted properly. I probably should have just gone with Timbrens or saved some money and tried a pair listed in this thread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts
I bought something similar by Prothane - the bolt holes were just a little bit too far apart to bolt right up and haven’t had a chance to drill them out yet.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead and ordered the Prothane 19-1311-BL Black 4-1/2" Multi-Mount Suspension Bump Stop. I went with them over the first ones pictured only because they only have a progressive two stage vs a three stage. I figure the two should last longer. I'll update with pics and my review in the next couple of weeks when I replace my rear shocks and install the 3 leaf all-a-leaf pack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00387C6T0/

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the Prothane 19-1311-BL Black 4-1/2" Multi-Mount Suspension Bump Stop. I went with them over the first ones pictured only because they only have a progressive two stage vs a three stage. I figure the two should last longer. I'll update with pics and my review in the next couple of weeks when I replace my rear shocks and install the 3 leaf all-a-leaf pack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00387C6T0/

Let me know how they do and send me some pictures and I'll add them to the suspension options thread!

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the Prothane 19-1311-BL Black 4-1/2" Multi-Mount Suspension Bump Stop.
I'd like to hear how you like them too. 30% of the cost compared to the sumos is hard to ignore when I'm just looking to replace worn out originals and not looking for high performance bling.

Wanted to learn more about them and found this info:

When I was doing the springs and shocks I measured the mount bolts as 5-1/8" apart. Might need a little bit of filing, doesn't say how wide the bolting slots are.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4 1/2" Universal Bump Stop install

Here is my follow up on the universal bump stops.

Prothane 19-1311-BL Black 4-1/2" Suspension Bump Stops - Amazon.com

You can see how much taller they are than the factory bump stops.

The mounting holes were slightly off. I day to drill them out about a 1/4" on each side.

You can see I also notched the rubber a little so that the bolt and washer fit closer.

The factory nuts stripped out when I was removing the old bump stops. It was easy to simply drill them out and just add a longer bolt and new nuts on top.

Overall they were really easy to install and seem like a good upgrade/option when you lift the rear suspension and need extended bump stops.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Those OEM nuts gave me trouble too. A cold chisel and hammer breaks the tack weld holding them on easily.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not to thread jack, but anyone that is planning on replacing their bumpstops, that lives ina salt zone. I broke all 4 heads off the bolts. Just take off the rear tires and beat the welded nut out with a hammer and any object that can be hit by a hammer and fit against the nut( I used a piece of rebar, I had sitting in the garage . This is sooo much eaiser than trying to get those bolts out, buy 4 new bolts, nuts and washers. Have a happy and smooth install of whatever your new bumpstops are.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Overall they were really easy to install and seem like a good upgrade/option when you lift the rear suspension and need extended bump stops.
How do you like them so far? How much do they compress.
I bottom out sometimes on my stock ones and thinking I should replace the bumpstops but I don't want to lose up travel. I wonder if these will compress to about the same length as stock bumps when flexing.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you like them so far? How much do they compress.
I bottom out sometimes on my stock ones and thinking I should replace the bumpstops but I don't want to lose up travel. I wonder if these will compress to about the same length as stock bumps when flexing.
I haven't had any issues and they have felt great. I would not install these unless you are running 2.5"-4" extended travel shocks and springs. If you did you would be hitting them all day long.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts