Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have some… unique… ECU issues.

So a couple months back I would randomly get a SES light with a code of P0605 (Internal Control Module ROM Error) ONLY after a warm start and ONLY sometimes. It would lock out the throttle and the VDC and SLIP light would come on, but everything else functioned correctly. I would clear the code and thing was fine and the VDC and SLIP light would clear on the next restart. This happened every month or so.

Now as I’ve been chugging along into the winter the SES & code seems to come up all the time. Coming on after EVERY warm start EVERY time. Same code with the same ‘no throttle’ issue and lights.

Now as of the past couple days the SES & code now pops up on EVERY COLD AND WARM starts with the same code and the same conditions, however, now my remote start is not working because the truck needs a couple more cranks to turn over, I have to use the key to get it started. After I clear the code everything runs normal.

If I start the truck, clear the code, and restart the truck the code does not come on. It’s only after it’s been sitting for a while (15 mintunes I would guess)

I’m mechanically inclined with a large ego. If I have to take this truck to the dealer I’ll be trading it in. :(

Any troubleshooting step I can take to find out what is causing the issue? I have done some wheeling with the truck so keep that in mind.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Im guessing that the ECU itself is going out, or at least a portion of it. The ROM is usually where the tune is stored, and if there is a fault in the memory, it could be causing issues. I would find someone nearby with a same/similar year X, and try swapping his PCM in to see if that fixes the issue. If it does, its just a matter of finding a replacement.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im guessing that the ECU itself is going out, or at least a portion of it. The ROM is usually where the tune is stored, and if there is a fault in the memory, it could be causing issues. I would find someone nearby with a same/similar year X, and try swapping his PCM in to see if that fixes the issue. If it does, its just a matter of finding a replacement.
Is is really as easy? Just swap it out with another one? I thought you had to program it to the X

·
Registered
223 Posts
Im my experience with other cars, typically late model chevrolet cars and trucks, the PCM would work from one vehicle to another. Even across engine differences (5.3 pcm in a 6.0 truck) as long as it was from a similar year with similar parts (same reluctor ring teeth, etc)

·
on line
2,362 Posts
There is programming involved. Even if you find the exact correct spec programming in a used unit you will still need the computer security programmed.

·
on line
2,047 Posts
I have not idea.... I remove and clean grounds ... see if there is any sign of rust on them.... battery side frame and the other side...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not idea.... I remove and clean grounds ... see if there is any sign of rust on them.... battery side frame and the other side...

I have heard about this and would like to try it (when it warms up a bit)

Where exactly are ground wires for the ECU and/or how many are there? or should I just clean every wire that touches the chassis?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts