Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to the dealer on monday.

I have had no collisions or mods on my stock X

Between 40->60 mph, and 80+ mph - there is a vibration and a ultra low frequency hum which sounds like a very low buzz from a sub-wofer.

I've had my tires rotated to no avail.

The vibration starts mild and gets worse as speed increases.

It happens when I'm in neutral or in any gear.

I luv my X but this SUX

·
on line
1,114 Posts
One or all of your tires are out of balance. I'd visit a good tire shop and have them pull off all the old weights and balance them again.

You didn't mention any modifications so I'm assuming your truck is bone stock.

·
on line
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Yes. Its a bone stock 2006 4x4 OFF ROAD X

If the drive-shaft or tire(s) are out of ballance, will this be covered by the warrantee?

·
on line
28 Posts
I've experience something similar on many different vehicles. It's always been because of mud causing the wheels to be out of balance. Check to see if you have mud dry onto your rims. When I've experienced this in the past, it has occurred after I've washed the car. The washing knocked some of the mud off the wheels and putting them out of balance.

·
on line
92 Posts
I second the wheel balance. I had my tires rotated a week ago and now i have a good vibration going on. I'm going to have them rebalanced this weekend probably. Also, I had no vibrations at all before they were rotated. Yar.

·
on line
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer says the problem is due to the un-even circumference shape of tire (not a smooth circle), after 20k miles.

I just ordered 4 BFG All Terrain T/A KO's

·
on line
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
highTech said:
Dealer says the problem is due to the un-even circumference shape of tire (not a smooth circle), after 20k miles.

I just ordered 4 BFG All Terrain T/A KO's
The new tires did ot solve the problem.

I returned to the dealer and then they found the problem. The Front Right Drive Shaft was faulty (did not rotate smoothly).

·
on line
64 Posts
for future reference

if you feel the vibration mostly in the sterring wheel, then its wheel balance/tire out-of-round. if its the whole car, then its drive shaft.

can't tell? get it up to speed where its vibrating, pop her into neutral. still shaking = tires. shaking stops = drive shaft.

·
on line
246 Posts
Unless you disconnect the drive shaft from the differentials then that's not going to work. When you put it into neutral all that is happening is the motor is no longer being turned by the drive train (when you let off the gas). All of the drive shafts are still turning. That's why they tell you to disconnect the drive shaft(s) when flat towing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts