Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker just noticed I had uneven outer tire wear on the fronts of the truck and so I did some searching and noticed that it's very common straight from the factory! Is this for reals? Why would Nissan do that?

My 2014 has only 12k miles and the tire wear is very noticeable granted I haven't rotated the tires yet (been too lazy and dumb) but it shouldn't wear the tires unevenly.. am I right?

Haven't had an alignment yet but the truck drives straight and true. Never messed with the tires since it rolled out of the lot. So what gives?

Everyone says get camber bolts but why should I fix Nissan's mistakes or was the positive camber set for specific reasons by Nissan?

I'm going to bring it to the dealers and see what they say.

Any suggestions or new info about this "common" issue?

·
on line
2,044 Posts
Do a chalk line test to determine if your psi is off
Rotate fronts to rear and find a good alignment shop
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stock my '13 came with 0.40 total front toe-in, and 1 degree of positive camber per side.

Camber bolts solved the camber, added caster, and the toe was adjusted to a smaller amount.

Solved my wear issue, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of the wear is caused by the amount of toe coupled with the camber. Reducing the toe-in should theoretically minimize the tire scrubbing on the outside.

Get an alignment, at the dealership. There may be TSB or something to get Nissan to pay for the camber bolts if you need it.

Also the stock Rugged Trails wore extremely quickly for me. Probably would've only lasted maybe 20-25k before they would've needed to be replaced, before I replaced and sold them at ~7k.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 2014 has only 12k miles and the tire wear is very noticeable granted I haven't rotated the tires yet (been too lazy and dumb) but it shouldn't wear the tires unevenly.. am I right?
No you are not right. The purpose of rotating tires is to maintain even tire wear. This should be done every 5,000-7,500 miles if not sooner. The dealer will probably tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It is common.

My 12 P4x is the same way, and I had them aligned and rotated them all the time. Didnt help.
I think it is mainly the positive camber that exists from the factory.
The two dealerships I spoke with were zero help.

I didnt care so much on my stock tires, but I have 2000 miles on my new toyos and they are doing the same thing. Really ticks me off.

The cam bolts are really the only thing to try. And if you go that route, you need an alignment shop that will really work with you.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have about 24,300 currently on my stock BF RUGGED TRAILS. But i did rotate every 3-5,000 miles. Figure tires are not cheap. Try to make these last. All are wearing even for the most part. Except one is wearing in the MIDDLE more? That usually means OVER INFLATION. But i am a stickler for checking the pressures often. 36 PSI. From the last nissan multi point inspection.....

LF 7/32
RF 7/32

LR 4/32 TO 6/32
RR 4/32 TO 6/32

BRAKES

LF 5MM
LR 6MM
RF 5MM
RR 6MM

When it comes that time (hoping for later than sooner) the firestone destinations AT are looking good.
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tirecatalog/Firestone/DestinationAT/

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies guys. Going to rotate the tires this weekend and see if I can make an appointment for the dealers to see if they can front out the camber bolts install it and align it for me.

Question though. Is there a reason why the truck rolled off the assembly line with positive camber to the point where it eats the tires slowly? Better traction when on 4x4?

Sorry, not very suspension saavy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts