Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at walmart wasting time the other night and I saw some tiny driving lights that were cheap. They are 55w cheap things which I'll probably replace sometime later.

I've been thinking since I got my truck that I wanted to put some lights under the truck and wire them to the same circuit as the interior map lights. This way they come on and light up the ground when I open or unlock my doors.

So I'd like to wire these up now into that circuit, but also use the included rocker switch so I can manually turn them on as well at other times.

Anyone done any lighting like this or know where I would go to find what circuit to put these into? I have not yet had to play with the fuse/electrical boxes on my X so I don't know where to start.

- Russell

·
on line
1,054 Posts
haven't heard of anyone doing that, however a few have used lights for night wheeling/rock crawling, but they're usually mounted in the front under the shrock bumper

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Excuse the MS paint drawing. Figured this would be better than trying to write it out.. Just need to tap into the ground wire for the lights. I can think of a couple other ways to do this, but this should be the easiest. I think you'd have to tap into the ground wire after the BCM to get the control via remote, key, doors, etc. If you tap before BCM, then you'll probably get control only with doors open/close. You need to separate the 2 circuits with a diode so the rocker switch will only operate the outside lights.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
xterrock has it right in that you'll need diodes to "steer" the ground logic. Very good work!

I have a similar set-up with my Z but rather than lights under the car I have the circuit hooked up to the false light in the 350Z's door. I put red LED's inside the reflector so that when you open the door they light letting traffic know the door is opened.

Think about what's going on when you open each door. If you open the driver's door and the key is in the slot you want the "key-in-the-slot beeper" to go off and you want the lights - both the room and under the truck light to illuminate. If the key is out you don't want the beeper. When you open the passenger's side door key in or out you don't want the beeper going off and you want the lights to light.

Question: do you want both sides of the truck's lights to light up when either door is opened? Or do you want the passenger's light to light when that opens and the driver's light to light when that door opens?

If you want both lights then xterrock's circuit will work - if you want one light at a time you'll have to do xterrock's circuit twice. Mount two SPST switches to manually do one at a time or a DPST switch to do both lights manually together.

·
on line
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that awesome illustration xterrock. Printed it out to investigate further. :)

- Russell

·
on line
3,272 Posts
if you like it, then do it man. i wouldnt put them on my x but i would love to take the neon white ones out with me when i do night rides.

·
on line
1,716 Posts

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I've been thinking of doing a similar thing with white LEDs in the door handle like the pics below. Just been too lazy to take apart the door. It was either in the door handles or on the under side of the side mirrors.

·
on line
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice I hadn't considered the door handles. I like the look too, really clean.

·
on line
735 Posts
Funny this topic came up..I have just about completed my installation of some $14 walmart "rock lights" that I bought a couple of years ago for my now sold jeep. They are really good for seeing what your front tires are trying to ride up on and generally give lateral illumination which is nice on a real dark night when you are trying to squeeze through something. Nice to have when you need to look under the truck too.

I wired them to a rocker switch- the oem toyota kind to which there is a link to in the "How-To" section. can bestuck it in the original unused switch hole once you remove a block-off cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts