Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am just wondering if anyone had tips/advice/ideas when cleaning the underbody. Are there certain parts to avoid il.e. seals or places where water or detergent will seep in or do damage. Can you use high pressure washer spray or just a garden hose?

Also, should I avoid the car washes and their underbody sprayers.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
yep, i use the sprinkler trick. works pretty well

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
hey everyone, thanks for the responses. i had been wondering because i came across this article online:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/07/what-is-an-underbody-flushing-service-.html

They mention there that "Though GM advises having an underbody flush annually, it also cautions, "Do not directly power wash the transfer case output seals" on all- and four-wheel-drive models. High-pressure water could damage the seals and contaminate the transfer case fluid, which would then need to be replaced."

Could something like that ever be an issue for the xterra transfer case or any other parts under there? (i realize that its talking about GM lol) They do say not to directly power wash the transfer case seals, so as long as you don't get too close to anything as mentioned in the posts above, should be ok i guess?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts