Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at various threads here and doing some research I decided to give the Pyle PLBASS8 a try. (Buy it on Amazon along with Boss KIT-2 Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit). $140 for both and it will make the install much easier. It's a powered 8" sub that is specifically designed for under seat applications. I was not looking for window shaking bass but was not happy with the standard Nissan package. I installed a (No-Name, Chinese) Double-din DVD head a couple of years ago, and for $200 I've been very pleased with it. I had a Pioneer Z unit in my King Ranch and it was marginally better, but also cost 10 times more. I also replaced the door speakers with Kicker DS65 & DS693 (Ebay) and Infinity Reference 1031T 1" tweets in the dash (also Ebay).
For starters: mount the sub under the driver's seat. Don't mess with trying to take the passenger dash apart to get to the firewall. It's a PITA. There is a convenient rubber grommet behind the power brake booster that is perfect for the 8 gauge power wire and is easily accessible from under the driver's-side dash without having to remove a single piece of trim. Run the power wire under the side trim and right into the amp. (2 pieces of snap trim, takes 10 seconds to remove). There is also a very convenient ground bolt in that same rocker panel channel for the 8 gauge amp/sub ground wire. Run speaker/RCA's and remote power wire under the center console trim (very easy). Use the included (from the install kit) fuse/holder under the hood and power up the amp. The manual that comes with the Pyle Sub is very simple and shows you exactly what to do. I tried to speaker wire and RCA connections to the sub and got better results with the speaker wire option (opposite of what is suggested in the manual, but I went with what I deemed to be the best sound). The remote sub control, which comes with the Pyle, is awesome. You can dial in the bass, on the fly, without having to enter any menus on the deck or fiddling with small adjustments. Mount this remote under the dash (just under the 4x4 selector switch). I used double sided tape. Did not want to run screws through my dash. The final product is exactly what I wanted to achieve. Clean bass with nice mid's and highs. Better head unit will get you better results, but I'm very pleased with my experiment. I'm not looking to shake apart the truck. Did that 20 years ago when we used to build godawful systems like a bunch of morons. I'm attaching several reference pics. Total project should take you 2-3 hours and 5-6 beers. I think you'll be pleased.

Sub and install kit

Under driver's seat. (4) 14MM bolts, unplug the seat belt sensor and the seat lifts right out. Very easy. This location works well without interfering with the seat adjustments.

Handy grommet for power wire. Just make a hole in the grommet with an exacto knife.

My Chinese head unit. I think I paid $200 for it. 2 or 3 years ago. GPS sucks but the rest works great. Even has a Nissan logo option on start-up.

Under the hood fuse block.

Pretty clean look and sounds great. I love the remote bass adjustment feature (not pictured).

·
Registered
209 Posts
ok two questions, Can you figure out what kind of head unit that is? Id love to have the nissan logo on startup. Also, since its almost 2 months later, is the sub still working well? I have read some reviews that the amp likes to go out.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I was curious about the reliability of the powered sub as well. A ton of reviews were dead out of box, or died within a few months. How is it working out for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I honestly can't remember what kind of deck it is. It's some generic POS that I bought on Ebay and has worked surprisingly well. I bought it for the DVD capability. The amped' sub has also been working quite well. I'm pleased with it so far.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
ok two qfyiuestions, Can you figure out what kind of head unit that is? Id love to have the nissan logo on startup. Also, since its almost 2 months later, is the sub still working well? I have read some reviews that the amp likes to go out.
FYI, almost any modern head unit allows you to choose a start up pic, you can load it in and save it. I have a pic of my X out on a trail wheeling as my start up pic on my Pioneer Avic F-90BT. I could easily just load a Nissan symbol if I wanted.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22 Posts
ok two questions, Can you figure out what kind of head unit that is? Id love to have the nissan logo on startup. Also, since its almost 2 months later, is the sub still working well? I have read some reviews that the amp likes to go out.
It looks like a Kenwood unit, possibly from the DNX line.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm going to be trying a very similar install to the one described above, except I'll be using a Kicker 11HS8 powered slim sub. I'll let you guys know if it fits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts