Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done undercoating for the X? I am thinking of doing that. I looked under the X the other day and see just paint, not coating. I want to do undercoating to protect it from rust in the future. Any picture will be appreciate.

·
on line
71 Posts
Most rubberized undercoatings tend to trap moisture between the paint and the undercoating, and can cause more rust problems than the factory painted metal.

·
on line
631 Posts
i have the undercoating done on my X... did it myself tho. when i worked for toyota in utah we would sell the complete package deal for the winter. undercoating the cars was messy, and most techs would do a half ass job on it too. do it yourself, just buy the cans. make sure it is warm outside (above 70 degrees). and cover the ground with a tarp or something so the underspray doesnt drip and ruin the driveway... i would post pics but my truck is covered in mud :)

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I used to swear by undercoating when I lived in MI and the roads were salted. Living in the desert and my last X I had for 5 years, had no issues, so I wouldn't use it now. If I did live where they salted I would consider some sort of extra protection or I would keep it clean after every salting.

The new models with galvanized sheet metal and all supposedly don't need it.

And the issues PacoPico raised about trapping moisture would worry me a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts