Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So... I've recently picked up an Xterra (2007 S) and I like everything about it EXCEPT... The seat backs. The passenger seat is uncomfortable but bearable but the driver's seat back has been actively causing me mid and lower back pain. It feels as if there is a bar/lump just above where the lumbar support pushes out and this is making even short drives unpleasant. I drove for approx 10-15 mins prior to buying and was alright but after the first 1/2 hour drive I started to feel the discomfort.

I've read the threads about the lack of replacement options (pathfinder and frontier seats seem to be the only direct bolt in options) but was wondering whether there have been any updates as most of these are at least a few years old. There have been a couple of hacks to put other nissan seats in but those require disassembling the current bases and I'd prefer not to destroy the original seats in case I want to sell at some point.

It also seems that none of the actual aftermarket seats have bracket options that match the 2nd gen X (from reading threads it appears some say they do but don't actually). I like the look of the master craft Baja seats but they're pretty pricy and would need a custom bracket/base.

There was one post with a similar issue with the possibility of removing the lumbar bar but no follow up appeared on that.

It seems that pathfinder seats might be the most likely solution but I've haven't found an affordable pair of those yet...

Any thoughts?

If anyone has any bolt in seat options that I've missed or seats they want to sell that might meet my needs then I'm interested!

·
Same Country as Bucksnort
14,613 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that's where I saw the seat originally. How is it comfort-wise compared the the original? Is it pretty stable on road?

How was the install? Straight forward / bolt together? It's up there price wise but I might consider it if no more affordable options appear.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Take your xterra to a reputable auto upholstery shop and ask what they can do to improve your situation.

New , quality foam and an improved fabric can make a world of difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take your xterra to a reputable auto upholstery shop and ask what they can do to improve your situation.

New , quality foam and an improved fabric can make a world of difference.
I’m going to look into this but my worry is that the frame of the seat and spring/lumbar support bar layout are a good portion of the problem. I don’t want to get the foam redone to find out that it’s an overall issue with the frame.

This is why I’m considering a replacement seat to begin with. For reference, I know that Ford E series van seats and VW Jetta mkV seats are both great for my back.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm lucky in that my town has an excellent auto upholsterer.
A good shop can replace worn seat springs and repair broken seat frames.
Basically, I've seen 30yr old seats which have been restored to better than new conditions.

The benefit in repairing vs swapping is your maintaining whatever safety equipment which may be associated with your factory seat. If my memory serves me correctly, side air bags became standard on the 2009 xterra's, but they may have been optional on your own. To be clear, I'm unsure if these airbags are pillar or seat mounted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm lucky in that my town has an excellent auto upholsterer.
A good shop can replace worn seat springs and repair broken seat frames.
Basically, I've seen 30yr old seats which have been restored to better than new conditions.
If I can find someone competent then I like this approach - the seat base is fine design wise, but the back is the problem. If that can be fixed I’ll be happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts