Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
on line
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I tried searching for awhile but came up with nothing, and I know this topic has been referenced, so can you help a fellow X'er out?

I went in to a muffler shop yesterday to get a quote on replacing that awful Y pipe that connects the two pipes coming off of the engine to the main muffler pipe- you know: the one where one pipe goes from 2.5" diamater to 1/2" diameter?

I tried searching for what everyone's fix for this was, and I couldn't find it. Did you all order a Y pipe that would replace what is currently in place, or did you have one custom fabbed? Thanks in advance for your help!

-John

·
on line
246 Posts
You can either have a muffler shop fab up a Y-pipe or you can buy one from a company like magnaflow who also makes pre-fabed Y-pipes (from stamped steel).

I personally would go with the stamped steel pre-made version. It just leave less room to screw up.

·
on line
1,977 Posts
Y PIPE

I got a replacement Y from Summit and it was no less restricting.I had a shop do a custom system with equal length pipes from the forward cats meeting with the Y in the center.Cut the back cats off.He ran duals from the muffler.Made a MAJOR difference in performance. :cheers:

·
on line
631 Posts
mine was fabbed, only cost $30 for the y-pipe and the magnaflow cost $70, total installation with piping and labor was $160

·
on line
3,436 Posts
For that price I think it was just the y-pipe and muffler. I paid 120 for my magnaflow w/ installation.

·
on line
7,142 Posts
$225 w/new Magnaflow muff

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
hey, bucksnort, is that the one that's on sale at amazon? how do you like it? any noticable gains/changes to the drive? and how does it sound? i'd like to do this but don't want a ricer sound or a big loud growl that will disturb the peace

·
on line
7,142 Posts
It only growls when you step on it. It doesn't have an annoying drone or raspiness. Seems a little quicker and it's gotta breath better.
It's the 18" Magnaflow 2.25 dual in and 2.5 single out.
Wisbike saw and heard it the other day when we put on his lift. I'll be up wheeling with ya on the 8th so you can look see it. Don't buy the Rustmaster as in 2 years it'll be junk w/ all the salt around here.
I should have done this right away, first mod.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
yeah, if i do it id like to get the 30% off at amazon :)

·
on line
7,142 Posts
If any shop wants to charge you more than $150 to install this tell them to pound sand.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
well, the amazon coupon is dead now, so, i guess i'll wait and see what yours is like and try to start saving :)

·
on line
16,147 Posts
hey, bucksnort, is that the one that's on sale at amazon? how do you like it? any noticable gains/changes to the drive? and how does it sound? i'd like to do this but don't want a ricer sound or a big loud growl that will disturb the peace
we are blessed with an engine that is quiet when idling and growls and sounds awesome when you get on it...there are many sound clips of VQ40DE's with this setup on this site.......mine here....
Driving:

Idle -Revving:

Idle:

Idle-after headers and revving:

there is no such thing as a ricer sound to this engine if you do it correctly.....if you don't..yeah it will prob suck to listen to.

·
on line
4,576 Posts
loki- the amazon coupon isn't dead I just ordered mine like 20 minutes ago - $64 shipped but i got the 2.5 inlet/outlet one.....

It sounds sweet in person (bucksnorts) and when it idled it sounded normal - no drone at all. Buy it! you just have to click through that other website to get the 30% off

·
on line
1,574 Posts
with a custom set-up with a magnaflow 12268, do you still need a Ypipe? i dont really know much about the set up, but in 8thmans pics, it looks like the two duel pipes go straight to the engine, no ypipe.
i have a 12268 on the way from amazon, so please correct me if im wrong, and if I need to order a Ypipe before the 30% expires.
I will be having a local shop custom bend pipe and install for me.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
i personally run a Y-pipe...but you can get a 2-1 muffler and bend the pipes right into it...it depends on what muffler you would like to run...I run a Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad muffler because it can take a rather large beating when wheeling... and it is a 1-1 setup...which means I needed to put a Y-pipe in.

A magnaflow 12268 is a 2 to 1...so you do not need a y-pipe.

·
on line
4,576 Posts
if you get one of the dual inlet magnaflows you don't need a y-pipe. I just ordered the 12268 and I won't be putting on a y-pipe - just plumb it straight to the muffler

1 - 20 of 33 Posts