Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I currently own my first MT car (my 08 xterra), and feel that the clutch is burning out.. if I could bounce some symptoms off you folks who know much more about vehicles than I, I would be eternally grateful!

1-Revs high w/o accompanied power/speed (I have to really mash the gas to get it to go..)
2-I did the stall test.. did not stall from 1st or 2nd while stopped..
3-Smells like clutch.

I would assume these point to me buying a new clutch? Just wanted to make absolutely sure before I spend about 2 grand on parts/labor at local Nissan dealership :/

Anything I should tell/ask the Nissan Service guys when I go in tomorrow?

Thanks for the help and if I overlooked a thread which already covered these symptoms I am deeply sorry.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If the flywheel surface isn't totally burnt, cracked, or mangled, you don't need to buy a new one. I've done 3 clutches in my lifetime, and none of them needed any flywheel work.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
JWT is lightened though, isn't it? Definitely has it's pros and cons.

The wear plate on our dual-mass flywheels is steel and known for cracking, at least in the earlier years. A few people on the Frontier boards fought to get them replaced under warranty because they weren't installed correctly and warped.

If a clutch isn't abused, typically all they do is resurface the contact area.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you know how to drive get the jwt flywheel and metallic race clutch. I'm at 25k miles driving it hard daily no issues
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 9 of 9 Posts