Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to wonder if this kit from "Rock Equipment" wouldn't work. It looks like you can order just the plates and then source your own u-bolts. It looks like the bottom plate would protect the center pin to some degree.

http://www.rock-equipment.com/

OK4WD sells these and it says they will work on Dana 44/60 w/ 2-2.5 inch leafs...

http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catalog/product/rock_equipment_u_bolt_flip_kit/

And a photo from OK4WD

http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/product/image/865/

***EDIT: Installed on 11/9/07***

Alright... here's a quick shot of the stock set-up for comparision (w/ longer u-bolts for my Alcans);

And... afterwards;

I have to say that this kit went on fairly easy. The top plates cleared the ABS line brackets without any problems. I ordered custom 9/16 square end u-bolts that were 8.5 inches long. Could have gotten away with 8 inches.

I only really gained about an 1/8 of an inch of ground clearance, according to my measurements. I guess the biggest added benefit is the approach and departure angles, so-to-speak, of the bottom plate.

I had originally hoped that the top plate might work for an air bump striker plate, but the distance between the nuts doesn't really give you a lot of room for error.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
If you want to try that out on my truck to make sure it works before you put it on yours you can do that!!! LOL

I donno, you never really know till you get the stuff in your hands and try it yourself I say go for it. If it doesnt work there is always ebay.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright... I ordered the kit (minus u-bolts). I'm pretty sure I can make it work. The only thing that might get in the way is the stupid ABS wire brackets on the front of the axle tubes near the u-bolts on each side. I'm hoping I don't have to modify or grind those off.

I have hopes that when it's all said and done, I might be able to find a way to use those brackets as air bump striker plates for the rear (yeah I said it... air bumps). We'll see how it goes. If I can do it, that might help justify the $139 price tag...

:scratch:

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
willgr1 said:
updates??
Expected the kit to arrive on Friday or Saturday. It didn't. Called OK4WD this morning. They said it didn't ship out due to a "miscommunication" with their warehouse. They said it would go out today, next day air for no extra charge.

Still have to find some u-bolts too. The selection at the local auto parts stores is pretty poor. Going to have to order them.

·
on line
631 Posts
OregonX said:
willgr1 said:
updates??
Expected the kit to arrive on Friday or Saturday. It didn't. Called OK4WD this morning. They said it didn't ship out due to a "miscommunication" with their warehouse. They said it would go out today, next day air for no extra charge.

Still have to find some u-bolts too. The selection at the local auto parts stores is pretty poor. Going to have to order them.
Find a local spring shop in the yellow pages.. they will more than likely have them in stock.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, local spring shop. And if they don't have them in stock, they will most likely make them for you while you wait.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
They are special u-bolts in that they are square instead of round. He might be able to get them, but I doubt he has them laying around.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You know, you might be right. I am not sure how the Frontier u-bolts are setup, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were normal U-bolts with the plate on top of the spring (basically take out setup and flip it over for the spring over).

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well I dont know about the titans but I know for a fact that the fronty Ubolts are square because when i ordered my calmini lift kit, I ordered the frontier kit... and guess what type of Ubolts came with it...

Too bad I already sold them or I would just ship them over to Shawn right now. :cussing:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Ahh, well then...

Frontier u-bolts will work with a flip kit then.

This also means that Calmini would have them as well.

·
on line
807 Posts
I ordered the parts for a flip kit from ruffstuff. There stuff is much beefier than rocks. When I get it I'll post a couple pics. (it'll be a couple weeks, because I ordered something custom from them as well and they are going to ship it all at once)

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the UPS guy just pounded on my door while I was getting ready for work. They finally arrived.

I will say I don't have any concerns about these not being "beefy" enough. They're made from 1/2" steel plate. And I think they're going to *barely* clear those ABS line brackets. Keep your fingers crossed.

EDIT: I found a local brake & alignment shop that also re-arches spring packs and makes custom u-bolts. I'll go in there in the next few days and hopefully have this stuff on by the weekend. Stay tuned...

·
on line
807 Posts
That is nice that the plates are 1/2" thick, That is actually thicker than the ones I ordered. I thought they used 3/8". What diameter are the U-bolts? 9/16 or 5/8? The ones I got are 5/8", but most I have seen are only 9/16"

1 - 20 of 68 Posts