Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but I was able to do this would my '03 Passat...

With the VW's, you can use a VAGcom cable and software to change most anything about the car. One of the simplest and most basic changes I made was to have all 4 doors unlock with one press of the button. With the VW, it was a matter of flipping a few bits in the ECU.

My question, is this possible with the X? Is there a way to interface with the ECU and "tweak" this and other functions? Would a dealership be able (and willing) to do something like this?

I have read a bit about the Scan Gauge, but didn't see any mention of changing this specific function.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Two presses of the button too much? The way it is, the driver door solenoid will wear out way before the other 4, cheap fix, saves on battery. To override that you wear em all equally, expensive fix (In 300K mile range) and task the battery that much each press, and, when your wife unlocks the X in a dark parking lot, the sexual predator next to her hops in with his gun. Just to point out some reasons why they have it like that from the factory. MC

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
usmc xterra said:
Two presses of the button too much? The way it is, the driver door solenoid will wear out way before the other 4, cheap fix, saves on battery. To override that you wear em all equally, expensive fix (In 300K mile range) and task the battery that much each press, and, when your wife unlocks the X in a dark parking lot, the sexual predator next to her hops in with his gun. Just to point out some reasons why they have it like that from the factory. MC
MC, I knew you were going to have something to say about the battery and electrical system :)

Yea, I've thought about these things in the past.

With the Passat before making the change, I would always "double tap" the button because I put my bag in the back seat. Admittedly, I don't do it as much in my X because my garage is too small to get the rear passenger door open (try shoving an X and a bike parallel in a 1 car garage).

I don't have a wife or anyone else that drives my X, and I'm not worried about someone trying to jump in when I unlock the doors (dude, I live in Boulder).

So... taking my risks in consideration, I am still interested in doing this to my X. Is it (easily) possible?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts