Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It turns out that the OEM Rockford Fosgate System is pretty good.

If anyone saw my post in the Interior section a few weeks ago, asking about the part for the tray atop the dash where the Garmin GPS sits, knows that I ditched the Garmin and installed an Alpine headunit with nav.

Well, got that done yesterday. And after having it installed there was a considerable improvement in the sound. Who knew? There's an amazing EQ system with a tons of presets for all different types of vehicles. Quite impressive really.

Loving the nav much better than the Garmin that came with the X. Also nice to have the nav instructions come in loud and clear over the car speakers, as well as the phone integration on screen and over the speakers actually work.

Some pix.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Timely post...I'm installing an Alpine 940 head on Tuesday and I'm wrestling with keeping the stock speakers or dropping some Inifiniti's or whatever...else in. You running stock speakers? How do you like the Alpine? I almost put in the Kenwood to stay brand loyal to Garmin but at the last minute changed the decision to Alpine because it seemed higher quality by a notch or two...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timely post...I'm installing an Alpine 940 head on Tuesday and I'm wrestling with keeping the stock speakers or dropping some Inifiniti's or whatever...else in. You running stock speakers? How do you like the Alpine? I almost put in the Kenwood to stay brand loyal to Garmin but at the last minute changed the decision to Alpine because it seemed higher quality by a notch or two...
I was thinking "Hey, since I'm having them tear everything up, might as well do an amp and speakers . . . " then I figured I'd wait to hear if they sounded better before dropping money on something I might not need.

The guy who installed it told me that the RF amp and speakers were pretty good. Could you bet better sound? Sure, for a price. So I decided to see if it was that big a deal. The EQ setup is wild. I watched them set the whole thing up. The Alpine has all these different presets based on vehicle type. 2 door coupe, four door sedan, wagon, small SUV, Mid-sized SUV, Large SUV, Pickup truck, etc. Press a button and your 75% of the way there . . . you can then fine tune it, all kinds of cross over setting, sub level setting . . . it really made a difference.

I think that soundproofing (or rather sounddeadening) the interior would help more than anything else . . . and I'm considering that.

The NAV takes some getting used to. You can send it over one speaker, front speakers, all speakers. I have it on all and the number of voice choices is extensive and it sounds great. The one thing it doesn't do is announce "Recalculating" . . . which I miss. At first I thought . . . WTH? But just looked at the screen and saw that it had.

Phone integration is so much better. I did not opt for Serrius Sat Radio. It will do Pandora and stream Bluetooth audio . . . but I don't see much point in that. I have my ipod hooked up and it sounds great.

Hope that helps. If any other questions let me know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good information - thanks. I've basically had the same setup you did - stock stereo with a Garmin portable semi-installed, which worked fine, really but total integration is better and the ability to connect to personal gadgets is what sealed the deal for me. Plus, I'm getting tired of removing the Nuvi every time I travel to unfamiliar cities for use in rental cars.

I'm sure I can adapt to a non-Garmin navigator, looks like the feature set is pretty similar.

My understanding is that the Alpine comes with lifetime access to Navtech nav data.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts