Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into doing this for a while, I had an 85 4runner that had the removable rear roof and I loved that about it. I would like to do that with the xterra but I can't find any info on this. Constructive criticism is welcome but pics and a link to the how-to would be...welcomer. It's An 4x4 s 2006
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It's easy, can be done in two simple steps:
1) Sell Xterra
2) Buy Frontier.

Done!

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
A link to the how to? Your assumption that someone actually already did this and did it well enough that others wanted to do it too and then that person actually wrote instructions on how to do it, makes me laugh.

Go buy a frontier.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
10,980 Posts
How-to, ha! Get out your sawzall and go to town ... be prepared to put in some work to keep it from looking like a hack-job.

This isn't something that's done regularly ... there isn't a how-to. Personally, I think the roofline doesn't lend itself to a 'chop' ... but others may disagree. Do some digging on the other Nissan forums for members 'Steeze' and 'apine spirit' ... both of them did chops on First Gen Xterras, and made it work; but I have to ask, why?

I'm with H.I. ... if you want a truck, for using as a truck, then just get a truck. If you want to do it just to be different, then hey, whatever floats your boat! Really, though, one of the only full-body SUVs that I've ever seen that looked good chopped, was a project 3rd Gen T4R on big axles & tires, written up in one of the Peterson's mags a while back.

·
Registered
461 Posts
there is a first gen X that did something similar. User name STEEZE I believe
There was a first gen black Xterra (supercharged) that was owned by Jorge from New Jersey Area Xterras (NJAX) that he rolled out at Moab in 2003 or 2004. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX6Zov-FFI4. It was totaled by the insurance company, taken back, and the new owner in Colorado cut the top. It was known as The Phoenix back in the day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A6ZP432TRk&list=PLB2AF5330800A811F&index=2 I believe it has since been resold, but I don't recall who has it now.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Go and buy yourself an Isuzu Amigo or Rodeo Sport. Boom! Done!

BTW, I have owned an Amigo, and one of the best things that I did to it was replace the canvas top with a fiberglass hard top...which Isuzu later did with the Rodeo Sport. Living with a open back or canvas top is a giant PITA because you can never leave anything in the rig, it is completely unsecured.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
So far, No 2nd Gen X has been chopped. Unless its going to be a dedicated off road, I would say just go w/ a fronty. I mean if you can do it right, I say go for it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I met some one that had the top of their Cherokee cut off. It was done at a local truck shop, and looked really good. the whole truck was rebuilt. I wish I had pics. a tree fell on it, and totaled the truck, that's what led to cutting the top off.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
I wonder if you could fit a king cab frontier cab and a crew cab short bed?

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I think he means on the Xterra chassis.

Figure out the wheel base, and see if it matches up. Body mounts would probably have to be custom, but that could be a very cool project.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts