Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been driving the wife's Honda back and forth to work for a while to save on gas. Needless to say, this means she's been driving the X and some issues have arisen, and she's neglected to tell me.

Most are easy fixes but has anyone heard of this? Left turn signal works fine if the brake isn't applied. Coasting into the left hand lane your fine. Start slowing down and it starts blinking rapidly on the dash. Just being inside the truck you'd think "Ok it's about to go so might want to replace the bulb". So I bought some new bulbs. Went to test with my buddy and this is what I noticed.

When the car is idling, no brake, lights on, both signals work fine.

Hit the brake, and with the right signal on, it continues to blink as it should.

Left signal on, no brake, and the turn signal works.

Left signal on, apply the brake, the upper bulb stops blinking, and instead the reverse light blinks?! wth...dont know where to start. The upper stops blinking completely. Must be a short? Not sure where to start.

I can tell you that it has:

- in-dash touch screen tv which was there when I bought it.
- amplifier under the rear seat that has speakers disconnected but still hooked up to power. This could be the culprit? But wouldnt know whether to turn off, disconnect, etc.

TIA - Rob

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Yea...probably should have done it anyway huh. Going to give it a shot tonight.

Any idea's if it's not?..
Don't need a plan-b. It's a shorted bulb. ;) the other cause is a wiring harness short, but 99% of the time it's a bulb short inside the bulb.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,239 Posts
Do you have trailer wiring? Aftermarket convertor boxes can cause weird issues like you describe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry got busy.... So changed out ALL the bulbs and it stopped for a couple days. Just came back this morning.

Early2010: I do have a hitch on the back. I never really messed with it to see if the wiring was down there bc I dont have a trailer and there was never a need..but this is now making sense. When changing out the passenger side bulbs, I did notice there was an extra green wire that had been cut on both sides. I'll have to take a picture tonight but it wasnt connected to anything on either side but was in a clasp. This has to have something to do with it. Will take pictures tonight and see if anyone has any ideas. I have none when it comes to electrical issues.

·
on line
2,239 Posts
The aftermarket hitch wiring strikes again...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Siigghhh...doesnt sound like that's much fun. Did a quick search but couldnt find any write ups on issues or experiences. Any chance you can point me to a thread?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts