Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I was browsing around for Tuner info and I see a lot of them for sale. That makes me wonder how much value they add? What's the reason for so many available for sale?

Just wondering!

TIA

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Tons of value, TONS of value!!

There's a wealth of info on these all over the site, just waiting for you to Google it.

Anyway here's a good thread to get you started: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62649&page=2

And specifically: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=992003&postcount=16

So yeah, depends on what you want to do with the truck which tuner you should get.

Standard tuners are all about the same and good for stock to mildly modified Xterras. With Bullydog having an edge since it can monitor engine parameters as well, if you care. The biggest benifit on a complete stock Xterra is the removal of throttle restriction from a stop till 40mph. Beyond that they are good at enhancing mild mods (CAI, cat-back, etc).

Custom is better if you plan on doing more to the truck and want a full diagnostic software suite. Uprev is a custom tuner.

But seriously search, its all over the site.... (using google and the query: 'WHAT I WANT TO SEARCH site:www.thenewx.org')

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tons of value, TONS of value!!

There's a wealth of info on these all over the site, just waiting for you to Google it.

Anyway here's a good thread to get you started: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62649&page=2

And specifically: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=992003&postcount=16

So yeah, depends on what you want to do with the truck which tuner you should get.

Standard tuners are all about the same and good for stock to mildly modified Xterras. With Bullydog having an edge since it can monitor engine parameters as well, if you care. The biggest benifit on a complete stock Xterra is the removal of throttle restriction from a stop till 40mph. Beyond that they are good at enhancing mild mods (CAI, cat-back, etc).

Custom is better if you plan on doing more to the truck and want a full diagnostic software suite. Uprev is a custom tuner.

But seriously search, its all over the site.... (using google and the query: 'WHAT I WANT TO SEARCH site:www.thenewx.org')

Thanks for the response. I have spent quite a bit of time reading the threads. My question was related to why so many are being sold in the forum.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
there have been lots of people selling their Xterra's that I have noticed. plus some people want to upgrade to a diffrent tuner to better suit their needs ( go from a Superchip to let's say a Uprev )

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Thanks for the response. I have spent quite a bit of time reading the threads. My question was related to why so many are being sold in the forum.

Jeff
My bad, I glossed over your question and assumed it was another 'I need a tuner, spoonfeed me the info' thread.

I think maillet282 hit the nail on the head. I went from Superchips to Uprev once my X was more modified.

I've seen others sell SuperChips in particular because they've found out too late it doesn't support 2011+ Xterras.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bad, I glossed over your question and assumed it was another 'I need a tuner, spoonfeed me the info' thread.

I think maillet282 hit the nail on the head. I went from Superchips to Uprev once my X was more modified.

I've seen others sell SuperChips in particular because they've found out too late it doesn't support 2011+ Xterras.
ok, thanks

I was just wondering if guys were buying them, finding out they don't work and selling them off.

I can see the upgrade path being a valid reason.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I got the Bully Dog Tuner, and didn't really notice much difference at all! I have been very disappointed. I just removed the tune on it yesterday, and can't tell a difference in mpg or power. I drive a lot more conservatively, but I didn't get any performance gain; also, my mpg improvements were marginal at best.

This is just my experience. I uninstalled it and re-installed the tune on a Titan, and he didn't get any noticeable performance gains either...haven't gotten the update on mpg's yet.

Sn0

·
on line
4,434 Posts
My engine is bone stock, so I didn't expect to see any gains. I bought my bullydog solely to monitor engine and transmission temps. It can be set to alarm if the temps get too hot too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I got the Bully Dog Tuner, and didn't really notice much difference at all! I have been very disappointed. I just removed the tune on it yesterday, and can't tell a difference in mpg or power. I drive a lot more conservatively, but I didn't get any performance gain; also, my mpg improvements were marginal at best.

This is just my experience. I uninstalled it and re-installed the tune on a Titan, and he didn't get any noticeable performance gains either...haven't gotten the update on mpg's yet.

Sn0
I noticed a pretty decent difference going from stock to the 93 octane tune and removing the WOT limiter.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

Sn0
A friend of mine bought one for his '13 Frontier. He returned it because he couldn't tell any difference. He called them to see if something was wrong and they said they don't have WOT removal on the 13s. That was pretty much the whole reason he bought it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Hypertech Max Energy Programmer and I'm really happy with it. It basic changes that worked for what I wanted. The WOT removal was at the top of my list :)

·
on line
436 Posts
I am new to the Xterra. Whats with this restriction below 40 mph?

Plant your right foot from a standing and notice how it does nothing until 40 mph when all hell breaks loose. With a scanner you can see that the throttle opening is limited under 40mph before going WOT. According to the stopwatch removing the restriction took about 3-4 tenths off my 0-60, now right at 7 secs +-.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts