Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
on line
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about making a few tube bumpers to bring with me to GONE this year , Az-Ted is gonna let me borrow his X so i can build them off the frame.
gonna try to make them similar to the front bumpers i have on Natalie's truck as well as my 1st gen . obviously these are frontiers but gonna try and get the same design on an X
not sure if there is any interest but if i do make some they would need to be picked up at GONE

·
on line
10,980 Posts
You would go and do something like this ... :rolleyes: ;) ... I've been trying to find the time to sit down and sketch out some designs of my own, to try and get made out here, but haven't been able to come up for air long enough to dig into it ...

I might be interested, haven't figured out if I can swing the vacation to make GONE this year; but I could be persuaded to make a quick trip out and do a pickup/install ... my preference would be for minimizing the grill/light hoops, but if you pull the trigger and this moves forwards, I'm assuming details like that could be worked out. Also, is it just that I'm missing it in the pics, or are there no shackle tabs?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'm in the process of starting to make my bumper and it sounds like you might have something here... People want something different than the 2-3 bumper options available that everyone and their brother seem to have haha
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Jonathan are you want no stinger/ pre-runner bar or just a lot smaller one than the ones ive got
the main top bar i can do all one piece and have no stinger but the way i designed them with the stinger makes them so much easier to put together so i can always make the stinger much shorter

shackle tabs are not there but can be added fairly easy

cost is probably gonna be somewhere around $750 but dont know for sure until i actually make one and if i make 3-4 then i can get a deal on powdercoat

i also dont plan on making more than 4 lol

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Jonathan are you want no stinger/ pre-runner bar or just a lot smaller one than the ones ive got
the main top bar i can do all one piece and have no stinger but the way i designed them with the stinger makes them so much easier to put together so i can always make the stinger much shorter
Most *I'd* want is a really simple low bar, just high enough to guard a set of lights ... or if it was even lower, an LED bar. FWIW, I like the look of a Shrock with no bars quite a lot ... I've actually been wanting to measure the panels off of some local's Shrock, so I can put together tube runs with the same profile ... just, like I said, haven't had (really, it's made, but if I say 'had' it makes me feel better) the time so far.

shackle tabs are not there but can be added fairly easy
Again, *I'd* probably want those, and to have them tied as directly as possible to the frame ...

cost is probably gonna be somewhere around $750 but dont know for sure until i actually make one and if i make 3-4 then i can get a deal on powdercoat

i also dont plan on making more than 4 lol
$750 sounds pretty reasonable, but don't sell yourself short on how long it takes to do this (and don't forget about any design time, too ... I *know* how intensive that can be, believe me ... but maybe it's mostly sunk already)

Don't hold one on my account, if they're getting snapped up ... I can't really commit right now, with the holidays and a few other things going on, but I'm interested ... as GONE gets closer, if you've got the slot available, and can work with the stuff I've mentioned (ie: it's not a hassle to incorporate, or you don't want to tell me to take my idiosyncratic 'requirements' and stuff 'em), then let me know ... I'm sure we could work something out.

Best to you guys.

·
on line
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there is no real design period , i just bend stuff out of emt to see what follows the lines the
best then build the bumper . mostly i just build off sight
the plan is to build the bumper in 2 pieces , have the winch plate tie into the tow hook points then the bumper tie into the normal bumper spot.the bumper will also bolt to the winch plate , this way you can mount the winch easily with one person along with the bumper after and not have to do it in one shot (this is the plan but may not work that way)
i built the bumper for the 1st gen in about a day including paint so it just depends , if i can i will try and get these powdercoated unless the guys wanting them want bare metal

·
on line
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm interested in this. I like the Frontier one alot
which one ;) , the 1st gen or 2nd gen
the design ill come up with will be more like the 2nd gen but the stinger wont be nearly as tall or i could just do one main bar instead of the stinger
on the newer X's there may have to be a different game plan

·
on line
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
borrowed Andrew's X , will more than likely start the tear down tomorrow so we will see how far i can get ;)
plan to make it similar to the 2nd gen put possibly doin headlight protection off the stinger instead of the side braces

1 - 20 of 64 Posts