Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Xterra pro-4x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first time poster here. I’ve had my new to me Xterra for about a month now and this place has already helped a ton. Up till now I’ve been able to find whatever information I was looking for.

My problem is that my trunk lock doesn’t work correctly. I can lock and unlock it using the interior controls but I cannot lock/unlock the trunk from the outside using the keys. When my locksmith buddy came and made me a second key for my X he tried to fix it but no dice. The key will go into the lock but not all the way. I’ll attach some pictures but I’m not sure how helpful they will be.

At the moment I see two potential solutions. First is either buy a OEM lock/latch/whole system replacement. I can replace everything not knowing what’s specifically broken. I’m not sure this is the way since wouldn’t I need a different/new key?
Second option is get a key fob and just program that for the vehicle. It doesn’t fix my lock and key issue but I’ll be able to unlock the vehicle from the outside.

I figure either solution will cost hundred something or so dollars. Open to any and all other solutions my small brain couldn’t think of.

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Could not hurt to heavily flush the key hole with WD-40, and then perhaps blast some canned pressurized air through it.

WD-40 is terrific for cleaning out mechanical surfaces but not great for long-term lubrication. One thing at a time.....

You want a functional key FOB. Makes life easy.

·
on line
2,343 Posts
You mention you have a locksmith buddy, hit him up to take apart what you have and see what is inside of it. Afterall that is what a locksmith does.

Reactions: Brunnie

·
Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
106 Posts
I'm curious here as my 2010 has the same problem. My 2006 is fine...but 2010 won't work. I haven't messed with it just yet as I just use the key fob...but at some point I'll fix it.

·
Registered
2012 Xterra Super Black X 4x4 Stock😔
24 Posts
My 2012 X does the same. Never had to use the key, always use the Key fob and internal controls. I will try WD-40, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Try pb blaster first. There is probably a bunch of corrosion in there. Will the hatch open?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Try pb blaster first. There is probably a bunch of corrosion in there. Will the hatch open?
PB Blaster! could leave a lot of residue in the key hole that may impede performance later.

·
Registered
2012 Xterra pro-4x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hatch opens totally fine especially since I replaced the stock struts with the 175 McMaster-Carr ones. I am going to try some of the various suggested lubricants and see what happens.

I have a feeling I am going to take off the interior panel to see what I can see.

I will report back my findings.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
hatch opens totally fine especially since I replaced the stock struts with the 175 McMaster-Carr ones. I am going to try some of the various suggested lubricants and see what happens.

I have a feeling I am going to take off the interior panel to see what I can see.

I will report back my findings.
So if you unlock the door via the keyfob or switch panel, you can open the hatch with the latch? If so, no need to take off that interior panel. Only reason to do that would be if the door would not unlock via the methods above, which does happen to xterras.

From what I’ve found, if the key is not able to turn after you have lubricated it repeatedly, it is not going to get fixed. Salt just causes rust and corrosion in there. It’s happened on my 3 vehicles.

·
Registered
2012 Xterra pro-4x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reporting back in with my findings. Lubrication failed to fix the problem. In a totally unrelated story my back windshield got destroyed over the weekend so it was just replaced while I was at work. The guy took the trunk door cover off during the process and left it off for me. I just went and looked at the lock and there is a noticeable amount of rust on the lock and mounting hardware.

I am at the spot where I am not totally sure which way I want to go.
First, I can access the lock now so I can remove it easily and see if it can be repaired. If it does I can use my key and not get the key fob.
Second option, I can put the trunk panel back on, ignore fixing the lock, and just get the keyfob.
Third, I can fix the lock and get the keyfob.
Lastly, I can do nothing and ignore the problems.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Now open, how about disconnect the cylinder and take it to a local locksmith to see if it can be restored. Or maybe find a cheap housing replacement for rust remedy and get it pinned to your key. With rust, it could eventually seize and render the hatch inoperable and you’re back to square 1. And I say get the flip key fob from a rogue mod. So nice having 1 unit for key/wireless operation. That’s my $0.035. I just like having everything work how it’s supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts